HISTORY OF THE WOODLAND COMMUNITY
Every community near to mountainous terrain has its real or imagined mines of fabled value. Woodland is no exception. Lore and fancy played no conspicuous part in the economy of the Woodland area, but the farmer occasionally took a few happy days away from family chores to pursue a pastime which he fondly regarded as "prospecting". When pinned down to the actual value of the gold which can even now be panned in the Lewis River, Rolly Mills estimated $.40 per man for a long day's work.
MINES & MINING
The Mt. St. Helens district used to be considered good prospecting country and was referred to as the St. Helens Mines. Through fact and fiction, stories were told that old-timers and Indians came into Jim Forbes' and Woodland stores to do their trading, paying in gold nuggets. Where the nuggets came from no one but the owner ever knew. The owner would be surreptitiously followed but always thrown off the track. The hiding place remained a secret.
Roland Mills says his mother told of Berrick Guilds coming out of the Mt. St. Helens Strawberry Lane district with from $1200 to $1800 per season's cleanup.
John Robinson, David Kenyon and Fred Stallcop also figured "thar's gold in them thar hills" and with gold pan, pick, shovel and knap-sack they headed "up thar".
The Kalama Bulletin of May, 1895 says: "Frank VanBebber started up Lewis River Wednesday morning to cut out the road to the St. Helens Mines".
Where Ole Peterson got his money no one knew. He came here from the Middle States supposedly broke; but in 1918 or so, he had enough to buy a new car which he had hauled to his place above Cougar by wagon. The only place he ever ran it was on a 300 ft. track he build around a stump. Roland Mills tells this story, and as proof he refers to Gene Bryant and Clarence Youngstrom, who used to drive the car around the stump for Ole. Ole must have had money.
The story of Woodland's government as told by Rolly Mills needs no lengthy comment. One can only agree wholeheartedly with his concluding sentence that the government of Woodland "is now, and, to be successful, must always be the will of the people put to work".
Government of the people, by the people and for the people is a continuing search for a better way of life for all the people. Much has been said and written about national and state progress in this direction. This is an accounting or history of the times, troubles and the progress of the town of Woodland, Washington, and its government.
The following is an editorial by Emma Wagner, Editor of the Woodland News, dated December 28, 1902, twenty-eighth edition, volume one:
"Woodland is surely waking up from its Rip Van Winkle sleep and beginning to realize that it is quite possible for it to make a town of itself yet. And why not? It is one of the most beautiful sites for a town in the state, and it is surrounded by one of the richest dairy, fruit and farming countries in the west; has both railroad and boat service, is only a twenty-minute drive from the Columbia River with a good level road all the way; is the nearest shipping point to thousands of acres of the very best timber to be found in the state; is a splendid location for a pulp mill, saw mill, box factory, cannery and numerous other industries."
"All it needs is someone to give it a little push, to work for its interests and up-building, and bring its resources into notice to make it one of the most thriving, prosperous and growing towns in this part of the country, and we believe that every citizen in Woodland and vicinity would be glad to see it so and will do all they can to make it so, we can vouch for the ladies in this respect, and have great faith in the gentlemen also, if they once put their shoulder to the wheel, --so when the town is incorporated choose for the city officers good business men who are public spirited and who will work to bring the town to the front and keep it there."
The town of Woodland was incorporated March 5, 1906, with the following officers: Mayor, L. Hopf; Councilmen: Ira Hutchings, Thomas Stratton, A.L.Bozarth, D.L. Wallace, T.E. Oliver; Treasurer, J.R. Bozarth; and Clerk, H.C. Bozarth. The salary of Clerk was set at $5 per month and the salary of Marshall at $10 per month. The inception of city government in Woodland found many things to be done. The streets were muddy spaces between buildings, no municipal water, very few sidewalks. The walks in use then were made of rough sawn boards and the ladies complained of tearing their dresses on the many splinters sticking out of the boards.
The balance of money on hand January 5, 1907 was $399.99. On March 4, 1907 the Council levied a 7-mill city tax on all property owners to provide revenue.
The city had some electric street lights as evidenced by a bill from W.L. Lawyer for the sum of $22.90 for electricity. This electricity came from a line to Kalama where the power was generated.
(May 21, 1907) The Marshall was instructed to build a dog pound in order that a contemplated dog licensing ordinance could be enforced. This dog licensing ordinance took effect on October 7, 1907 and the city had another source of revenue.
(September 2, 1907) A permit was granted to L.M. Love to lay water pipes from his windmill to other buildings owned by him on Front Street. This constituted the first water system in Woodland for general use.
(September 16, 1907) The Northwestern Long Distance Telephone Co. was granted a franchise in Woodland.
The first year of incorporation presented many problems as evidenced by some of the restraining ordinances. There were five saloons in Woodland at that time and many evenings the streets were aglow from other sources than the few street lights.
(October 4, 1907) A curfew ordinance was enacted prohibiting children under 15 years old from being on the streets after 8 p.m. during the winter and 9 p.m. during the summer.
(April 6, 1908) An ordinance was enacted prohibiting the deposit of garbage on streets and sidewalks.
Horse-drawn vehicles being the chief means of transportation, the livery stables in Woodland presented a continuing health hazard. On numerous occasions the Marshall was instructed to ask some non-cooperating stable owners to "clean" up their premises.
The first officers of the town did not find the going easy and free of trouble. On November 4, 1907, a bill from Earl Bryant's Drug Store for $13.00 was ordered paid. The item? 400 pounds of bicarbonate of soda. After an earnest search of the city records, the conclusion is drawn that this item was used to settle the upset stomachs of the council.
Several early attempts were made to start a municipal water system. On April 6, 1908, a franchise to erect a waterworks was granted to L.G. McConnell. August of the same year the franchise was revoked due to inactivity of its owner.
The town hall and jail, 16 feet by 24 feet, which was erected in 1906 at a cost of $285, was the scene of much activity and various occupants. On April 6, 1909, Mrs. B. Strong's bid of $.20 a meal to feed prisoners was accepted.
(March 16, 1909) the council decided on a $600 semi-annual license from each saloon in Woodland. For several years all applications for new saloon licenses were denied by the dry humored council.
(April 9, 1910) The Hayes-Etna Telephone Co. was granted a right-of-way from the ferry landing into Woodland. The Woodland State Bank became the official depository for the town of Woodland.
(January, 1909) The city officers were: Mayor, L.M. Love; Councilmen: John Peterson, Carl Goerig, Earl Bryant, John Gillott. On March 1 the council granted a franchise to the Woodland Light and Power Co., W.L. Lawyer, owner. On August 9 that year Dr. Hoffmann was made health officer.
(December 13,1909) The city election resulted as follows: Mayor, L.M. Love; Councilmen: E. Bryant, Mr. Gillott, Mr. Birt, E. Heald, R.W. Mills.
(June 6, 1910) The council voted to enforce the poll tax. No records are available to show revenue from this source. At this time the marshall's salary was reduced from $10 to $1 per month. The first of August, Mr. Birt made a motion that the town install a waterworks.
(December 6, 1910) The election resulted as follows: Mayor, Earl Bryant; Councilmen: C.C. Alford, John Bogart, L.G. McConnell. Mr. Birt and R.W. Mills continued. The cash balance on hand at that date was $81.38.
The 4th of April, 1911, the council adopted the following for water department revenue: first 300 cubic feet of water, $1 and $.30 for each additional 100 cubic feet.
(May 1, 1911) Local Improvement Dist. No. 1 was approved by the city council. This L.I.D. pertained to the improvement of Davidson Avenue, costs to be borne by property owners whose property abutted on Davidson Ave.
According to the records, the city government had the following officers March 3, 1913: Mayor, Joseph Bennett; Council: C.C. Alford, E.F. Bryant, A.H. Andrews, E.A. Anrys, J.S. Goerig. On July 1, 1913, the speed limit was increased from 6 MPH to a daring 10 MPH. No doubt the then recent purchase of Model T Fords by druggist Earl Bryant and Dr. Hoffmann had something to do with this increase of the speed limit--6 MPH is a floor-crunching low gear in a Model T.
The year 1914 started with Mayor William Strunk, council A.H. Andrews, L.G. Gray, C.W. Stratton, E.F. Bryant, and long before woman suffrage, Mrs. Elva W. Blackburn.
(May 5, 1914) The water system was in operation and the bid of Hayden Bros. for paving Davidson Avenue was accepted. F.H. Lane was engineer for the town of Woodland.
(June 2, 1914) A bid of $60.00 to fence the reservoir was accepted from Ben Julian. This year also saw a sewer system for the downtown area installed. It was a gravity flow system emptying into the Lewis River.
(September 1, 1914) The W.C.T.U. of Woodland offered to build a drinking fountain at the southwest corner of Davidson Avenue and Second Street. The offer was accepted by the council. April 21, 22, and 23 were designated as "clean up" days for the entire town.
(June 1, 1915) Ordinance No. 33 was enacted which read as follows: "Unlawful to fire or discharge any gun or other fire arms, air guns, sling shots, bean shooters or bows and arrows within the city limits. This ordinance also prohibits all shooting of fire works, bombs, torpedoes or other explosives. The fine--$20.00."
(September, 1915) the following is the city budget for the ensuing year:
(October 5, 1915) The Marshall was instructed to examine all sidewalks and advise abutting property owners to repair any breaks or hazardous parts thereof. December 13 of that year the first water samples were sent to Pullman, Washington to be tested for health standards by the laboratory.
(April 4, 1916) Mrs. Parent's acre tracts were accepted by the city and plots authorized. On June 6, the Commercial Club donated a public horse fountain. It was presumed that Model T's could also avail themselves of this free water.
(December 6, 1916) The city election resulted as follows: Mayor, L.N. Plamondon; Council: C.W. Dunham, E.E. Heald, Chas. Stratton, E.E. Dale and Ben Barr.
(September 18, 1917) The city council granted the Cowlitz County Fair Association blank license covering all fair enterprises. The annual fairs which were held in property south of First Avenue, were large events with a carnival, horse racing and the finest in farm animals and produce on display.
(December, 1918) E.E. Heald was elected Mayor and E.F. Bryant, Treasurer.
(April 1, 1919) The Lewis River News was declared the official paper of the town of Woodland.
(1919-1921) Side streets were paved in downtown Woodland and paid for by L.I.D. or property owners abutting streets improved. These early day paving jobs were a new field for cement and concrete here. The city emphasized "plenty of cement in the mix" to ensure good quality concrete.
(1921-1923) Mayor, J.D. Oliver. Next in line to 1924 Mayor, A.H. Andrews. During the year 1924, the council offered for bids a "comfort station" to be located in downtown Woodland.
(1924-25) Mayor, H.A. Long.
(1925-27) Mayor, C.J. Hoffman.
(1927-29) E.E. Heald once again served the town as Mayor. Later and for many years, he served as Town Clerk.
(May 2, 1928) The lilac was made the official flower of Woodland.
(1929-1933) George Plamondon was Mayor. On April 8, 1930, an ordinance was enacted regulating the construction of streets and walks. During this period the construction of Merwin Dam at Ariel, twelve miles east of Woodland on the Lewis River, did much to bolster the economy of Woodland during the national depression's early days.
(1933-1945) F. W. Schroeder was Mayor of Woodland. During this period a new building for the water department pumping station was built with W.P.A. funds. Several extensive replacements of wood main with cast iron was a forward step. As new sidewalks were built by property owners and the city continued year after year to put gravel in the low "spots" on the streets and level off the high places, rain water was finding it increasingly difficult to find a place to hide.
(February 21, 1935) Frank Reichmuth bid $44.00 per month to haul the city's garbage, and also proved a suitable dumping ground. He also furnished bond of $1000 to guarantee satisfactory performance of the job.
(1945) Herbert Heath became Mayor.
(1947-1949) L.R. Chester was Mayor of Woodland. The tremendous Columbia flood of 1948, culminating in the breaching of the eighteen-mile long dike which normally protects Woodland and the rich bottomland west to the Columbia River, were exciting and costly times in the history of the town of Woodland. The U.S. Army engineers moved in and the City Hall was a dispatchers headquarters for the numerous volunteer crews that worked around the clock in a vain attempt to keep out the mighty upsurge of the swelling Columbia. Memorial Day, 1948, is an exceedingly wet memory to those Woodland people who were present. The watery occupation of the town posed an immediate and serious health problem, so the town was evacuated for several weeks until the water subsided. The Mayor and councilmen of that time gave unstintingly of their time and efforts to fulfill their obligations as citizens of the community. This period was also the time of decision for municipal sewage installation.
(1949 to the present time 1958) Mayor, Earl F. Bryant. Mr. Bryant served as councilman, treasurer, and mayor, and served the community in many other capacities this past fifty-two years.
The Woodland municipal sewage system completed in 1950 is comprised of about six miles of sewer trunk lines, five lift stations and a primary treatment plant discharging the effluent into the Lewis River. P.S. Lord, the primary contractor of this system, bid approximately $240,000 to do the job. The rates for sewage have been decreased 20 percent since the operation of the system began.
Woodland has undertaken the job of storm sewer drainage with a modest beginning in the downtown area which is bulwarked by an overall city drainage plan drawn by Engineer A.E. Schultz and promising better streets in the future for the town.
During the 1880's Kerns was the nucleus of business in the Woodland area. The year 1957 saw the area of Kerns being rapidly brought to modernity through six inch water mains as promised by the Woodland government if they would vote to be annexed by the town. Woodland's population increased to more than 1300 people and the tax rolls will increase some $5,000.00 per year revenue for the town through the annexation of Kerns.
December, 1956 saw fluoridation of the municipal water system a reality. The local dentist, Dr. Gilbert, says"Amen" and it is working.
New and difficult problems that confront city government will continue to be solved by the same "people" who always seem to be available when the need arises. City government wages are small in Woodland--$6.00 per month for mayor or councilman and restrictions on the amount of business such a member may transact with the city. The proposed interchange cloverleaf or trumpet overhead crossing for Goerig Avenue and U.S. 99 proposes a new location for the sewage treatment plant and other municipal headaches. Perhaps another order for 400 lbs. of bicarbonate of soda, or better yet, "tranquilizers", from Druggist Earle Bryant, are again in order.
Many of those who have served on the city council still reside in Woodland. "Slim" Forsland put in several long hitches, Mrs. Andy Foglia served faithfully, Al Bjur, Mr. Marden, Bud Neil, and many others.
The 1958 officers are: Mayor, Hon. Earle F. Bryant; Councilmen Abe J. Martin, Ross Clemens, Henry Hummels, Al Schurman, Walt Church; Treasurer, Mrs. George Beard; Clerk, Mrs. G.C. Forslund; Water Superintendent, John Hannam; Marshall, Charles Dick; Police Judge, Amos Buker; City Attorney, James Carty.
The 1958 budget can be found in Volume I of Community Development on Government. Briefly, the corrected budget amount to $135,712.67--15 mil tax on valuation of $813,312.00.
The city owns three park sites at present and is developing Horseshoe Lake Park through the administrative instrument of a forward looking park board. The City library is today, as it has been for many years, an excellent example of work and thought by dedicated citizens of the town.
The history of Woodland government continues on the plus side of the ledger as it should be. It is now, and to be successful will always be, the will of the people put to work.
Like many another areas with comparable population, the Lewis River valley started with its full share of social and service organizations. There were card playing groups, debating societies and dancing clubs, but it was not until the 1930's that organizations became a way of life for the great majority of Woodland area people.
Today, one may safely assert that Woodland is over-organized, at least such seems to be the consensus, what with lodges, benevolent orders, service clubs, and a host of purely social groups, almost everyone has at least two obligations. Each organization seems to have its own pet project to which all effort and financial support are bent, with the result that many worthy projects never materialize and others merely die a-borning.
Such has been the history of organizations that many people become discouraged by the prospect of merely talking forever about a good and of never combining enough effort and money to achieve it.
It is the hope of the community study program that the people can agree on whatever they need most, and fill the need in joint endeavor before going on to the item agreed to be next in importance. Thus, by working together, the organizations can pool their efforts and money to answer each need in the order of its urgency and importance.
EARLY HISTORY OF WOODLAND LIONS CLUB
Chartered on January 24, 1939. Sponsored by Longview Lions.
Charter members: Walt Wood, Freeman Keller, John Weitzel, Lenus Boys, Millard Hamblen, Leon Stroud, Don Kobles, E.W. Madden, Neal Haskin, Porter Lainhart (First Pres.), Archie Potter, Phillip Pachal, Cliff Knight, John Evans, William Scottom
Present Membership: 40
Officers: President - Wink Bottemiller
VETERAN OF FOREIGN WARS GUS FORBES POST #1927
Organized OCTOBER 22, 1930 Woodland, Washington
Charter members: Fred Carlson, A. Miller, J.T. Woody, W.R. Wilson, C. Muller, A.N. Brivik, C.W. Giraradot, Ed Erickson, V.E. Daugherty, William Stine, R.B. Kline, Sam Jarvis, R.E. Grolbert, F.S. Green, Commander.
AMERICAN LEGION - FRANK GADDIS POST #103
Organized December 30, 1919 Woodland, Washington
Charter members: I. Smith Fields, Ralph W. Emerson, A.T. Nelson, Fred S. Bryant, Thomas R. Gaylord, Fred S. Millard, Karl H. Asmussen, Edwin G. Erstad, Pearl B. Grimes, Oscar M. Erstad, Earl W. Martin, Wm. L. Vanover, W.E. Wilson, Eugene C. Blue, Milton R. Settlemire
ODD FELLOWS LODGE #138
Organized May 18, 1893 Woodland, Washington
Charter members: W.A. Goodby, F.L. Matthew, B.S. Griffiths, Elisha Wright, A.N. Leisure
They were installed by A.L. Watson, Special Deputy Grand Master.
Charter members of SYLVAN REBEKAH #113, instituted December 7, 1898 by Lillie Chalmers, S.D.G.M.
W.O. Powell, John Bogart, Frank Van Bebber, Linda Powel,l Katie Bogart, H.J. Harter, L. Hopf, T. Chatterson, Clair Harter, Caroline Hopf, H. Chatterson, H. C. Bozarth, J.S. Field, Joseph Bennett, Emma C. Bozarth, B.S. Griffiths, Lizzie Bennett, Sarah A. Houghton, Clara Griffiths, C.A. Soney, A.H. Willoughby, Letitia Field, H. Houghton, J.W. Blackburn
July 20, 1899. Grand Master J.H. Davis, Sec. Jerry Fortain. Instituted December 7, 1898 by Lillie Chalmers, S.D.G.M.
Charter members of Woodland Masonic Lodge, No. 217.
Officers--Philip A. Blue, W.M.; Louis W. Field, S.W.; Charles H. Rixh, J.W.; Charlie W. Henry, Treas.; Robert E. McNeal, Sec.; Earl F. Bryant, S.D.; Eugene E. Dale, J.D.; William Davis, S.S.; Alford L. Bozarth, J.S.; Fred W. Driver, Tylor.
Petitioners for dispensation--Phillip A. Blue, Louis W. Field, Chas. H. rich,, Robert E. McNeal, Earle F. Bryant, Eugene E. Dale, Len W. Guilds, Fred W. Driver, Chas. W. Henry, Hezekiah Caples, Alford L. Bozarth, William Davis, Louis Wolf, Alonzo W. McCarmack, Andrew F. Davis, William LaSalle.
The only surviving Charter Members, February 1958, are Earle Bryant, Chas. H. Rich and Len W. Guilds.
The Charter Members of Woodland Eastern Star Chapter #153 are: Belle C. Dale, Luella Barrett, Minnie McNeal, Laura Rich, Anna Field, Jeanette Blue, Cora McCormack, Mary Lavis, Miss Ruth Rich, Miss Gertha Hoffman, Carrie Driver, Matilda Davis, Kate Bozarth, Edwin Dale, Louis Field, Low Guild, Earle Bryant, Phil Blue, R.E. McNeal, William Davis, E.M. Rich, Edward Erickson, Louis Wolf, Charles Rich, Louis Oliver, Fred Driver, A.F. Davis, Al Bozarth.
Instituted October 1916, Constituted June 16, 1917.
Charter Members of Federated Garden Club of Woodland, organized January 24, 1952.
Norma Godfrey, Elma Blum, Mabel Skinner, Clara Bozarth, Grace Davis, Peggy Stenlund, Daisy Wall, Peggy Hyke, Genelle Stevens, Zillah Conrad, Mina Weeks, Violet Walgamet, Ervina Van Eaton, Hallie Thomas, D. Brownhill, Mary Kalahan, Jewel Leathers
Daughters of American Revolution. Organized February 27, 1954.
Regent - Mrs. Hattie Gardner. Secretary - Mary Burt.
Ariel Women's Club. Organized September 17, 1933.
President - Betty Neth.
V.F.W. Auxiliary, organized April 11, 1939.
President, Jaunetta Carmer; Sr. Vice, Elath Harsock; Jr. Vice, M. Bohnert; Chap, Emma Tesch; Guard, Susie Powell.
W.C.T.U., organized October 12, 1951.
38 charter members. President, Mrs. Ed Wyman; Sec. Minnie Gordon; Vice Pres., Mrs. Dan Pittman; Treas. Mrs. Harry Farr; Cor. Sec., Mrs. Warren Wheeler.
Eagles Auxiliary, organized June 19, 1949.
64 charter members. President, Marie McDonald; Sec. Edna Syring; 1st Vice Pres., Pearl McKee; Chaplin, Mable Skinner; 1st Jr. Past President, Ruth Van Roskey.
Woodland Garden Club, organized January 24, 1952.
16 charter members. President, Norma Godfrey; Sec. Daisy Wall; Treasurer, Clara Bozarth.
Woodland Chamber of Commerce, organized 1955.
President, George Homberg; Vice President, Walter Hansen; Secretary, Mrs. Paul Bruen.
Alumni Association, organized 1953.
President, Jerry Hanft; Vice President, Ted Wall, Jr.; Secretary/Treasurer, Mazie Insel; Corresponding Secretary, Amy Turner. Approximately 1300 members.
Cathlopootle Gen Club, organized July 1957.
24 charter members. President, Joe Majeski; Vice President, Roland Mills; Secretary, Edith Majeski.
Woodland Grange, organized March 31, 1906.
38 charter members.
Juvenile Grange organized December 9, 1954.
Master, Dixon Tubbs; Secretary, Betty Engman.
4-H Dairy Club organized January 1945.
Five charter members.
Seed & Wood Garden Club organized March 1953.
Seven charter members. President, Duane Fredrickson; Assistant President Esther Fredricksen.
Rainbow Girls organized June 5, 1944.
36 charter members. Worthy Advisor, Bonnie Stilts; Charity, Lenora Thomas; Hope, Betty Carlson; Faith, Barbara Gettman, Worthy Associate Advisor, Doreen Thomas.
Sow & Grow Garden Club organized January 23, 1946.
Six charter members: Mrs. Ray Bohymer, Mrs. A. Pashal, Mrs. Chas. Clark, Mrs. Whalen, Mrs. R.W. Lane, and Mrs. Dunham. President, Kitty Dunham; Secretary/Treasurer, Mrs. L.V. Walen.
THE HISTORY OF THE WOODLAND FIRE DEPARTMENT
as recalled by R.A. Schiewe, First Chief
In the early history of the town of Woodland, the only fire protection was a well in the center of the streets at Davidson and Second and this was before there was electricity in the town, and in case of a fire, the people used a hand pump and bucket brigade.
The early West was full of pioneers, and Woodland was no exception, for in the early nineteen hundreds, Bill Lawyer built and maintained the first electric service in Woodland.
With electric service available, the residents saw the need for a water system, having an abundance of good water flowing right by their door. They put in a water system using wooden pipes, which lasted many years.
As the town was growing slowly but steady, the need for fire protection was recognized, so the Town Council bought two hand drawn carts, one of which carried about 300 feet of hose, and the other was a chemical tank, holding about 30 gallons of water, using acid and soda which, when mixed, created pressure forcing the water out through the hose, which was a one inch hose, having a small nozzle.
The Town Council built a small building on the river bank, where the present fire station now stands, where this equipment was placed. On the ringing of the fire bell, in case of fire, it was every ones duty to help. The man on the main street would run and pull these carts to the fires. At times, someone would have a car with a running board on it, and several men would stand on it holding ropes attached to a cart, and that way tow it to the fire. There was no organized control of the equipment, or in fighting a fire. A meeting was called to organize a fire department. This occurred the latter part of 1924.
At the time the writer, R.A. Schiewe, owned and operated the first plumbing shop in town, was present at this meeting. After considerable discussion, he was appointed as temporary Fire Chief, with authority to organize a Fire Department of about 15 or more men. After a number of months spent contacting men up and down the streets, getting them out for drills and instructions, and answering fire calls, we formed the first organized Fire Department on April 1, 1925, which has continued to serve the people of Woodland up to the present time.
The Charter, so-called, signed by each of the original members is still in the Fire Station and reads as follows:
APRIL 1st 1925
WE THE UNDERSIGNED HEREBY MAKE APPLICATION FOR CHARTER MEMBERSHIP IN THE WOODLAND VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT:
1. R.A. Schiewe 2. Royce Mitchell 3. W.V. Sheltus 4. P.W. Stratton 5. Karl H. Assumsson 6. A.D. Manchester 7. Ralph Siegel 8. Wm. Englert 9. E.C. Blue 10. A.G. Schumann 11. Fred S. Bryant 12. Albert McCorkle 13. C.M. Youngstrom 14. George W. Taggart 15. J.William Collins, Jr.
At the first meeting of this group, Schiewe was elected as first Chief. We continued to serve the people of Woodland, improve the equipment; and as large city's had motor driven trucks, we discussed at considerable length the possibility of having some motor car or truck in our department.
Clarence Youngstrom told us about an overland car which his Dad, Andy Youngstrom, had just setting out in a field at his place near where the United Bulb Farm is now located. The boys went out, looked it over, decided that if we could get it we would rebuild it to make a truck out of it. Mr. Youngstrom gladly gave us the car, and after months of hard work overhauling it, it finally began to run. We took it to Mr. Lauderback, a boat builder living in Woodland who made a truck body for the car. The chemical tank was mounted behind the seat and a body for the 2 1/2" hose, with a platform in the rear for the firemen to stand on was added.
We all were very proud of our first fire truck and it showed the residents how fast we could get to a fire, and it gave us a talking point in getting the people to vote for a new modern fire truck. But first we needed a new fire hall to house it. The town council gave us permission to wreck the old frame building, and the firemen built the present fire hall, which still stands at the end of Davidson Avenue. It must be remembered that this building DID NOT cost the City of Woodland, or the tax payers, one cent. The firemen went to the bank and signed a note for $800.00, and after several years the firemen paid it off. This was in 1928, the year that the town bought the Peter Pirsch fire truck. This was the first Peter Pirsch fire truck in the State of Washington. The following year Kalama bought one just like it.
During the 1948 flood the WFD was asked to police and patrol the town of Woodland. The fire hall was one of the main centers of control with extra phones and a place where at least eight men were on eight hours shifts 24 hours a day.
By 1952 the city floated a bond and with the aid of our fire districts we purchased a powerful new Mack fire truck capable of pumping nearly 1000 gallons per minute. The old 1928 Peter Pirsch was now sold--but we understand is still in service in the upper Lewis River Valley.
During the last 10 years the WFD has sponsored Christmas parties for the kids--putting on a show and giving away up to 450 bags of candy every year.
The WFD has 2 resuscitators for use in drowning or other asphyxiation. One was donated by the Elks. Ninety percent of the members carry current first aid cards and want the people of the Woodland community to feel that we are at your service night and day.
In 1932 the City Council asked the WFD to take over the management of Planters Day and they have sponsored it ever since except for 1948 when it was canceled because of the flood.
In about the year 1939, state laws of Washington were passed to make rural fire districts possible. The WFD took it upon themselves to be the first in the state to form one. Fire District #1 in Cowlitz County. Fire District #2 in Clark County followed soon.
In 1941 the city bought a new Ford V-8 fire truck and retired the old home made Studebaker which had been used as an auxiliary piece of equipment for many years. Along with the Peter Pirsch and 20 good men we had one of the highest ratings among departments of our size during the war. Shortly after the war Fire District #1 bought a war surplus tank truck, for use in the country to add to our fleet.
It is interesting to note that none of the firemen receive any money for their services. All the money that firemen make goes into the Jack-Pot and is used for improvements in the department, and the welfare of the community.
The first letters of Woodland Fire Department are W.F.D., and the boys used to call it "WORK FREELY DONE."
Following is the list of men who have been Fire Chiefs and the year they served.
1925 R. A. Schiewe, 1926 E.C. Blue, 1927 W.A. Sheltus, 1928 Carl Tesch, 1929 Karl Assumson, 1930 Dick Grubort, 1936 Fred Bryant, 1940 Scott Clauson, 1942 Bill Blum, 1948 James Backman, 1951 Ray Lochio, 1954 Walt Hansen, 1957 Lenus Boys, 1958 John Hannam.
HISTORY OF THE LEWIS RIVER GUN CLUB INC.
It was in October 1947 when the Lewis River Gun Club began to take form. At that time the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Gus Forbes Post 1927 Woodland, Washington, sponsored two turkey shoots at the L.E. Bozarth place one mile north of Woodland on the Ariel road.
Again in the Spring of 1948 the Post sponsored two rifle matches. Those were also held on the L.E. Bozarth property.
Interest was running high in this sort of entertainment and to accommodate the crowds, bigger and better grounds were in order. New site was found on the Smithline property a mile farther up the Ariel road. This two acre piece was leased for one year with the option of buying.
The group organized in to what was known as the Woodland Gun Club. Credit is due L.E. Bozarth for this organized group. In the early fall of 1949 (?). L.E. Bozarth and Clyde Schurman went in pursuit of better grounds suitable for big bear rifles as well as shot gun matches. This committee reported on property for $3500 and held it until the club became better organized at which time the property would be sold to the club at the original purchase price.
In re-organizing, the name was changed to Lewis River Gun Club. The 108 acres was then bought by the gun club on a ten year plan
The Lewis River Gun Club incorporated in 1950. January 5, 1950. Election of officers was held and the following elected.
Wayne Bozarth, President
Carvel Bucholz, Vice President
Mary Edmunds, Secretary
L.E. Bozarth, N.R.A. Secretary
Neil Skinner, Treasurer
Elmer Edmunds, Range Officer
Clyde Schurman, Instructor
In July 1950 the Junior Rifle Club, under the guidance of L.E. Bozarth, affiliated themselves with the Senior Club, known as the Lewis River Gun Club Junior Division. The purpose of the gun club was to strive for the betterment of shooting rifle, pistol, shot gun, and archery and emphasizing safety both in the care and handling of fire arms.
The present (1958) Officers of the Lewis River Gun Club are:
Albert Vanover, President
Ralph Knight, Vice President
Louis Conklin, Secretary (club)
L.E. Bozarth, Secretary (NRA)
Neal Skinner, Treasurer
OLD NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS
Curtis Gardner spent hours patiently leafing through pages of yellowed newspaper files to obtain every possible allusion to local news. In this section he quotes the following papers in the order in which he came upon their pertinent contents: Kalama Bulletin, Investigator Kalama, Cowlitz County Press, Cowlitz County News, Kelsonian, Oregonian, Vancouver Register, Vancouver Independent, and the Kelsonian Tribune.
OLD NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS OF WOODLAND
KALAMA BULLETIN, June 17, 1892
Mr. Thomas Chatterson has just opened a meat market which fills a long felt want.
An Ice Cream and Strawberry Sociable will be given by the ladies of the church at Bozarth's Hall on the evening of June 21. Proceeds of entertainment to be used in starting a Sunday School library. The public are cordially invited to attend.
Prof. Winsett has just started his third term in music lessons.
The B. and B. Club will go to Kelso the 4th.
Mr. Reed, the Cedar Creek Mill man, has started a lumber yard at this place.
Frank Copeland, who is attending school in Portland, was among us Sunday.
Mr. Charles Austin of Kalama has opened a harness shop in Mr. C.C. Bozarth's old store. We hope everyone having work in his line will give him their patronage.
KALAMA BULLETIN, May 1895
Mrs. Stewart of Clatskanie is visiting her daughter, Mrs. Dell VanBebber.
Mrs. Bodyfelt and daughter visited relatives here over Sunday.
Mr. (Allen) Harrison's family has moved into the Eaton property for the winter.
Mr. Van Nuys, the Presbyterian minister, has been in attendance at the State Presbytery at Tacoma.
C.C. Bozarth has been visiting his daughter (Ida) in Castle Rock and taking medical treatment of Dr. Parent.
Mr. Ernest Specht contemplates selling his worldly effects and moving to California to engage in mining.
The Str. Elwood is running in place of the Mascot on account of the extremely slow water. She lays at Pekin over night and stages carry passengers to and from Woodland and LaCenter.
Will Bozarth accompanied by his wife, made a business trip to Portland on Monday and remained over Tuesday. Will and his partner (Mr. Thomas) are hustlers and get a large share of the trade coming to this place.
The immense flag manufactured by the Woodland ladies for the Fourth of July celebration floats proudly over our "big white school house", teaching a constant lesson of loyalty to our country and love for our "Star Spangled Banner" which no one will say is not needed.
Frank VanBebber started up Lewis River Wednesday morning to cut out the road to the St. Helens mines. Eugene Wright of Hayes, having raided his land there, departed last week for his new home at Bonanza, Oregon.
The post office at Hayes is now in the hands of the bondsmen and will be until D. Wells Gardner receives his commission as post master.
Mr. Leopold Hopf who has been visiting relatives in France and Switzerland for the last two months is expected home soon. He left his son, Leo, in school in France. His daughter, Miss May, has been across the water two years and is becoming a fine musician.
Miss Anna Murk, one of our most highly esteemed teachers, will soon take her departure for Santa Barbara, California, to spend the winter in that salubrious clime.
INVESTIGATOR KALAMA, October 3, 1895
Justice of the Peace Jacobs was called upon to unite in marriage John W. Hoggatt of Kalama and Miss Nellie Harvey of Kelso; also A. Clarence Hoggatt, brother of John, and Flora Belle Morris, both of Kalama. (John and Clarence Hoggatt were uncles of H. O. (Bill) Hoggatt, Lewis River Fish Hatchery Superintendent.)
COWLITZ COUNTY PRESS, Alfred Davis, Proprietor, December 2, 1898
The Odd Fellows of Woodland have completed arrangements for the organization of a Rebecca Lodge at that place. The Odd Fellows Lodge of Woodland was chartered August 5, 1893--L. Hopf, Ben Griffith, Tom Chatterson.
KALAMA BULLETIN, July 4, 1902
This issue reports that Supt. Willoughby conducted graduation exercises for the Kalama School this June. Professor Amos Willoughby was a principal of the Woodland School in the 1899-1900 year and taught the Bratton School the year before.
This issue also reports that Clarence Ockerman, who was attending Washington Agricultural College at Pullman, made a friendly call on the Bulletin office before returning to his home in Kelso. Note: Nostalgia, that common disease of yearning for the good old days which springs eternal at the drop of a date from another generation, is stimulated by the two foregoing items for it was under Prof. Willoughby that Curtis Gardner received his 8th grade certificate--making him the happiest lad in town; and it was under Prof. Clarence Ockerman that he took more 8th grade work at Woodland and we later met on opposing teams at the University of Oregon.
KALAMA BULLETIN, March 2, 1906
Mrs. Greve, near Kerns, has sold her farm to an eastern man for $3,000. Mrs. Greve purchased property in Portland and expects to make her home there in the future. (Mrs. Greve was the mother of Carl Greve, Portland jeweler.)
Daisy Bennett finished a term of school in the Kenyon District last Friday. (This is now the Clover Valley District.)
Sol. Strong has sold his farm to Mr. Caples.
Mr. Higgins was taking the population within the proposed corporation of Woodland the first of the week and finds plenty to fulfill the requirements of the law.
Quite a number of immigrants have arrived from eastern points the last few days.
W.S. Lawyer and wife were visiting in Portland the first of the week.
KALAMA BULLETIN, March 9, 1906
The people here expect to have lights in town by the 15th of the month. Note: On February 5, 1906, W.S. (Bill) Lawyer applied to the County Commissioners for permission to build an electric line from Kalama to Woodland. Permission was granted.
James Stratton, who is working for the East Highland Company, was in our town the first of the week.
E.S. (Gene) Wright of St. Johns, Oregon was visiting friends here last Friday and Saturday.
Chester Spitznogel, who has been working at Oregon City, is visiting his parents at Caples.
August Spaner, brother-in-law of C.A. Soney, died at Kerns Feb. 27 from injuries received at Soney's camp. He was buried in the Kerns Cemetery.
The Etna Mill Company took a donkey engine up to their camp the first of the week.
Mr. George Leach came down from Portland Tuesday, looking after farm, returning on Wednesday.
Nel. Guild, who has been sick for sometime, was taken worse and was taken back to Portland the first of the week for treatment.
The farmers held a meeting last Saturday in the interest of building a fruit cannery here.
Lewis Oliver and Les Hopf left last Thursday for Seattle where they expect to remain for a short time and then go to Alaska.
Ed Knight's smiling face was seen in our town the first of the week.
COWLITZ COUNTY NEWS, May 29, 1908 -- Woodland Chips
The baseball boys gave a dance Saturday night and made a neat little sum to get money to buy suits for the boys.
Mrs. Emma Rhyan, accompanied by her nephew Francis Goerig, went to Tacoma last week. She has been visiting her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. L. Hopf.
Mr. George Goerig and family came home Monday from Seaside, where they have been visiting Prof. Bransteter and wife. They left Miss Clara with the Bransteters for a longer visit. Mrs. Goerig has been taken down with the mumps since her return home.
Mrs. B. Robins and daughter, Chrystal, were met here Tuesday by her husband in a neat launch to be taken home to LaCenter. She has been down to visit her brother, William Ballhorn. Mr. Harry Hobart came with Mr. Robins in the launch as engineer.
Miss Rosie Ballhorn went home with Mrs. Anna Robins on an extended visit.
Miss Blanche Bozarth went to Portland Monday to visit her aunt.
Archie Gardner came over from Wilson's Mill Saturday night, returning home Sunday. He went by Gardner's Chapel and attended church and Sunday School there.
The Grange held a very successful meeting Saturday.
Joe Picard, former proprietor of the Kalama tonsorial parlors now conducted by Taylor Brothers, has a fine two-chair shop in Woodland. He has two nicely furnished bath rooms and is dong a very thriving business. Joe knows how to get after business and he is getting his share of it. There are four barber shops in Woodland.
The city--you can hardly call it town--of Woodland is growing more rapidly than ever. A score of new houses are in course of construction and there is talk of a large three-story brick hotel being built in the near future. The business interests have more than doubled in the last year and the residences have more than quadrupled in the same time. Kerns has been annexed and they are preparing to give the people of Cowlitz County an accredited high school. Woodland is a hummer.
Woodland is a quiet town notwithstanding they have five saloons. We did not see a drunken man on the streets during a Saturday visit to the town.
KALAMA BULLETIN, June 12, 1908
The prosperous and growing little city of Woodland has given another evidence of her enterprise by voting bonds in the sum of $10,000 for building a new schoolhouse. Our southern neighbor seems to be determined to have the best schools possible and is willing to pay the price.
Colonel J.E. Stone, Orator--The city of Woodland has decided to celebrate the 4th of July and has secured the services of Colonel J.E. Stone, a rising young lawyer of Kalama, for orator of the day. The Colonel will give them a rousing speech containing as much eloquence and patriotism to the lineal yard as any orator in this end of the Evergreen State.
KELSONIAN, December 26, 1908
The ferry boat Tacoma made its last trip on Christmas Day on its Kalama-Goble run, 1908.
First train from Kalama to Vancouver, November 2, 1901.
OREGONIAN, July 15, 1851
The British Str. Pekin lay at Vancouver harbor all decorated for the 4th of July.
VANCOUVER REGISTER, December 29, 1866
A German by the name of Piper, taking a boat load of grist to the Scapoose Mill, tipped over and nearly drowned.
The annual ball of the neighborhood was held this year at the home of J.S. Bozarth on Christmas Eve. It was a fine social gathering. Plenty of cider, apples, honey, methaglin and an abundance of other good cheer.
VANCOUVER INDEPENDENT, December 1875
The East Fork was billowing at LaCenter. There was a dance at the Grange Hall and a row boat coming up from Pekin was rescued by Captain Wier on the Str. Onetta and the couples were taken on to LaCenter.
Jan. 1, 1876--Mr. Shea carried the mail once a week from Vancouver to Kalama.
July 22, 1876--Geor. W. Woodham is building a grist mill. It will be ready to grind wheat this fall.
August 26, 1876--Perhaps 'twould be well before proceeding further to explain to the general reader where Pekin is---Many years ago the good people residing on the North Fork of the Lewis River had a post office established on said river, probably six or eight miles above the present place of receiving and disbursing mail to settlers. The office was called Pekin. In due course of time the Postmaster grew weary of office burdens and surrendered the office to someone living farther down the river. The subsequent changes were but repetitions of the first until the office is now on the north side of the river about three-fourths of a mile below the junction of the North and East Forks, while Pekin is all around here, up the river eight or ten miles above the mouth and across the Columbia River----. Lying nearest to James Woods, brother of ex-Governor Woods of Oregon....Adjoining is the property of Allen Gilson.
January 27, 1877...Pekinite: Literary society met with President J. Anderson in charge. The question: Resolved that a married life is preferable to a single one. The decision was in favor of the affirmative.
Mr. W.H. Martin of Martin's Bluff is putting up a grist mill which will be of great benefit to the settlers of Lewis River.
Mr. C.L. Klady has built a new house with the expectation of having a housekeeper soon. Success to the young man as he is tired of single life.
February 2, 1877...Lewis River Literary Society: President John Page, Vice-President, Amelia Bozarth; Secretary, C.L. Klady; Treasurer, Alice Bozarth; Buard, Hanson Miller. Question: Resolved that the Chinese should be prohibited. The affirmative won.
February 23, 1877...C.L. Klady Superintendent of Cowlitz County schools.
February 20, 1879...Officers of Lewis River Grange #47 instituted February 1, 1879 by J.S. Bozarth were: Master, C.L. Klady; Overseer, J.S. Bozarth; Lecturer, O.H. Miller; Steward, A.F. Millard; Assistant Steward, Isaac Eaton; Executive Committeeman, C.C. Bozarth; Treasurer, Emma Vanhiler; Secretary, H.C. Bozarth; Gate Keeper, Sammie J. Bozarth; Ceres, Mary Halenworth (Hollingsworth); Pomona, Mrs. C.A. Bozarth; Flora, Mrs. Olive Millard; Lady Assistant Steward, Rhoda Bozarth.
Mrs. Olive Millard was killed in a shooting accident November 13, 1879.
April 24, 1879...Seeing that you invited correspondents from different parts of the country, I have a few items from this section which may prove interesting to your readers, of which there are a goodly number on the North Fork of Lewis River. The first place of importance after leaving Pekin on the North Fork of Lewis River is the Grange Hall near the residence of John S. Bozarth. This house was built in the fall of 1875 by the Lewis River Grange and is 50 feet long by 22 feet wide. The Grange still flourishes and as a natural consequence the Hall is kept in good repair. Here the Lewis River Literary Society holds its meetings which are generally very well attended. There is a good steamboat landing on the river near the Hall. The little steamer Hydra under the command of Capt. Wier, now of the Latonia, made two trips to near the mouth of Cedar Creek, about 14 miles from where the North Fork empties into the main Lewis River and the day is not far in the future when steamboats will make regular trips to this point.
There has been some wood chopping done here this winter and between 500 and 600 cords of wood have been cut, of which about 250 cords are already banked and ready for shipment. This wood is all hardwood, ash and maple, mostly ash. Further up the river in the neighborhood of the Davis settlement a great many cedar shingles are being got out, there being no less than three different camps. There is also a little prospect of some mining excitement. A ledge has been struck and some of the quartz taken away for the purpose of assay....There is to be a May Day party and dance at Brattons' on the firs of May.
May 22, 1879....In the account of the accident at Pekin, the impression might be made that Mr. John S. Bozarth had his leg broken at the time when Alfred Bozarth, son of Squire J. Bozarth, was hurt. The fact is, Mr. Bozarth had both bones in his left leg broken on Tuesday, the 6 of June, by the kick of a mare on the property of Mr. Millard. It will please the numerous friends of Mr. Bozarth to learn that the bones of the leg have been set and his is doing well.
Mr. George W. Woodham of the Red Bird Mills on Cedar Creek has sold his farm to Mr. Otwell who has already taken possession. Mr. Woodham has removed with his family and mill machinery to Cedarville, Lewis County, Washington Territory, where he intends going into the milling business. Success to him. The Str. Latona, under command of Capt. Wier, made two trips recently to the mouth of Cedar Creek, on her last trip taking out Mr. Woodham's family and mill machinery.
July 17, 1879...D. Wells Gardner taught school in Gardner District. New school is being planned providing for a winter term.
July 24, 1889... Woodland Dairy Association formed to make cheese. A book entitled "Centralia, the First Fifty Years" says Patterson Luark, in 1853 with 14 head of cattle and some horses, went from Portland to Montecello overland, crossing on ferries at Vancouver and Lewis River and swimming the stock over the Kalama (Kalama Creek). At Montecello they crossed over the Cowlitz to meet the family.
April 30, 1890...There are now three logging camps on the North Fork of Lewis River and several million feet of logs will be run out this season, the first time that much has reached any magnitude on that stream.
Woodland has always been a school-centered community, even before it was called by its present name. Mrs. Clara Jones gives a picture here of the Park Grove School built about 1875. Leta Rasmussen tells of the Lee Lewis School built in 1853, and Curtis Gardner refers to a new school built on the Goerig place, all before the town of Woodland was named. Later the Kerns school was built on the Howard Bozarth place, to be followed by Cougar, Ariel and Yale schools many years later, not to mention the current awe-inspiring structures now to be observed on Park Street in the heart of Woodland.
In those days the teacher, often a member of a prominent local family, was a social leader and a person of great prestige. Today in our complex society the teacher is so loaded down with student studies and activities that he has little time for social pleasures, and there are even parents in this school district who have never laid eyes on their children's teachers.
Woodland is justly proud of their schools--the teaching staff, the administration, the children, alumnae, and the buildings. Together with the churches, the schools set the cultural pattern and direct much of the social activity of the entire area.
PARK GROVE SCHOOL
A picture in the possession of Mrs. Clara Jones was taken sixty-one years ago of the pupils and teacher of the Park Grove School, Mrs. Jones being one of the students. Of the eighteen students, five are still living, including the teacher, Miss Dee Clark, of Anchorage, Alaska. A U.S. flag was used as a backdrop in the picture and forty-six stars were on the flag at that time. The picture was taken about 1898.
The school house was built about 1875 of clapboard construction and was not painted inside or out. The stove was a big heating stove that furnished the heat for the school room. The students' seats and desks were factory made. The teacher's desk was three feet wide and six feet long, while the floor was of utility flooring of the period. The teacher's salary couldn't be remembered. The school house was one story and one room measuring twenty by forty feet.
The school house had a large bell in the belfry to call the children to school, while the teacher had a small hand bell to call the students to their classes. The school term varied from three to six months, depending on the money available. The teacher, Miss Dee Clark, taught for several terms, then moved on to other teaching jobs. The teacher replacing Miss Clark was Miss Grace Klady, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Columbia Klady, early settlers of the Lewis River area.
The families sending children to Park Grove were: Powell, Oliver, Jones, Bozarth, Beebe, Miller, Ross, Edwards, Pea, Eaton, Stratton and Robinson.
About 1900 the district was divided. The west half was called Kerns and the school house was located where Mrs. Leta Rasmussen now lives. The east half was located on the present Harold Smithson farm. This school went by the name of Mountain View. The Mountain View school burned about 1910; then, with the Kerns district, it was consolidated with the Woodland system.
Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Jones, in building their new home in 1951, found the terra cotta well casing still intact, but the casing had filled with dirt through the years. Several buttons and other artifacts were found near the school well. In locating this old well Mr, Jones was able to locate just where the school house was.
Mrs. Clara A. Jones.