1850 Part II continued
•previous•     •next•   

a 1958 Report of The Woodland History Committee

Revised Edition Copyright 2000 by Judy Card


Eliar Kinder, James Kinder, Jeff Kinder, William Kinder...see Emmels Claus Davis and George Maxwell families.

KLADY, C. L. by daughter Mrs. J. J. (May) Guild and granddaughters Lydia, Grace and Alice Guild

Jacob Klady married Mary Lancaster on the 8th of March at Centerville, Michigan. They lived on a farm about five miles east of Centerville where their three children were born...Harriet Morgan, Candace Victoria and Columbia Lancaster. On March 8, 1852 they began the journey across the plains by covered wagon, arriving at the Dalles Oregon September 9 and at Portland on the 12th. From here they continued immediately to the home of Mrs. Klady's brother, Judge Columbia Lancaster, who had taken a Donation Land Claim on the Lewis River.

Mr. Klady took up a claim at a point near the junction of the east and north forks known as Kinders Rock. He became dissatisfied with this location and in the fall of 1853 he moved to the Umpqua Valley where he took up a Donation Land Claim near Oakland, Oregon.

The Kladys separated and in the fall of 1863 Mrs. Klady and her son came to Vancouver, Washington where her youngest brother, Isaac Lancaster was living. In the spring of 1865 they moved to Woodland, Washington to the Chamberlain farm then owned by G. W. Love. This is now known as the E. M. Lane place on Highway 99.

In the fall of 1871 Mrs. Klady married George W. Love. In 1876 he sold his place to W. H. Black and bought on the bottoms from Lewis Miller. This is the place the Chas. Ekman family live on.

C. L. Klady purchased land from the Solomon Strong and Squire & Millie Bozorth Donation Land Claims, making him a place of 130 acres, part of which joined his step-fathers' place. He raised beef stock which he pastured on the latter place. On December 27, 1877 he married Sarah Isabelle Lackey at the home of her parents near Cottage Grove, Oregon. They lived with the Loves until Mr. Klady built a home the following summer. Their address at this time was Pekin, Washington Territory.

About 1882 Mr. Klady's bid for carrying the mail was accepted so he rented his farm and moved to Union Ridge, the town now known as Ridgefield. This made a more convenient location for him. He drove a two wheeled cart to carry the mail, also rode on horseback and sometimes on foot. During the summer months he used a skiff. He rowed up Lake River, then crossed an isthmus on which he dropped two wheels on an axel with which he used to convey the skiff across, then into Vancouver Lake. At the Vancouver shoreside he kept a wheelbarrow to carry the mail to the Post Office. He had regular days to pick up the mail at Vancouver then he took it to Pioneer, La Center and Kalama. At the end of his contract, in 1886, he returned to Woodland to his farm. When the steamboats began carrying the mail down river he carried the mail from Maxwell's landing on the Columbia to Woodland. Then when the Post Office was located at Kerns he carried it from Caples Landing on the Columbia River. He always carried a gun but never had to use it. When the railroad was completed from Portland, Oregon to Kalama the mail was brought on the train.

Two daughters were born to the Kladys: Alwilda May on August 25, 1879 and Candace Grace on January 11, 1891. When the question arose as to which school district their property was in, Woodland or Kerns, their father set out to prove the Woodland School was the nearest. He tied a rag on the wheel of his wheelbarrow and counted the revolutions as he took the short cut across the fields that the girls took to school. And he used the same method of measuring with his horse and back by way of the road to Woodland and Kerns.

Mr. Klady was a school board director and also served as clerk of the board for several years. He was Justice of the Peace and Notary Public. Some of the pioneer couples he married were: Joe Specht and Alice Jones; Solomon Strong and Elizabeth Hanley; J. L. Ross and Grace Bonner. His name and seal appears on the original plat of the town of Woodland.

He was a County School Land Appraiser. He was County School Superintendent from 1876 to 1878.

The Kladys had a homestead on Butte Hill that they took their stock to in high water times. In the spring of 1894 Mrs. Klady's brother, Robert Lackey, with his wife and two small sons came by team and wagon from Cottage Grove, Oregon to work for his brother-in-law. Their 23 month old son, LeRoy drowned in the slough at the farm. The two families camped at the homestead during the 1894 high water.

Mr. Klady later sold his place to George Wyman.

He and his wife were staunch workers in their Sunday School and Church. He helped build the First Presbyterian Church of which they were charter members. Mr. Klady died here November 15, 1906.

Grace Klady taught school at Woodland, Green Mountain, Yale and a summer session at the Park Grove School. She died January 16, 1910.

May Klady married Jesse Jacob Guild.

Mrs. Klady was a daughter of Hamilton and Clarissa (Harper) Lackey. She was born at Touchet, Washington, near Walla Walla, January 17, 1860. She was the first white girl born in their community. After her husband's death, she bought from Mrs. Bolen on Bozorth Street. Later she married Levi Geer of London Springs, Oregon to where she moved. She sold the Klady farm to her son-in-law, Jesse J. Guild, in 1912. In 1928 she returned to her home here. She died June 15, 1930. (Prepared January, 1958 by May Klady Guild and daughter Grace Guild Davis.)


Frank Klager came from Germany with his school mate Carl Tesch. They first came to Chicago where they remained two or three years, then came on to Portland. From Portland they came by steamboat to Kalama in 1875. While in Chicago they had heard of free land in the west so when they reached Kalama they began looking around, finally taking up a homestead on Green Mountain near Martin's Bluff. But they did not prove up. They were city boys and didn't like the wild woods.

They hired out to Mr. Martin of Martin's Bluff and also worked for F. N. Goerig. It was while they were thus engaged that they became acquainted with the Thiel family and Frank married Hulda (1879) and Carl married Bertha (1882). (For Carl and Bertha's family see Godfrey Thiel family.)

Frank and Hulda moved in with her parents and lived there six years. Their children, Elizabeth and Adelia were born there. The Klagers then bought 160 acres of the Gilligan place south of the Whalen road. They lived there until 1903, then moved back to the Godfrey-Thiel home.

Besides farming, Frank Klager, for 16 years was Secretary of the Woodland Dairyman's Assn. He was a member of the Odd Fellows and of the Woodmen of the World. He died in 1921 and Mrs. Klager at 94 (she will be 95 May 10), still gets out among her flowers, weather permitting.

Their children were: Elizabeth, born 1880; Adelia born 1883; Martha born 1885; and Fritz born 1889. Lizzie married Fred Wilkes who died four months later; she later married R. W. Mills and their children were William and Rowland. Delia married Nell Guild and they had one child, Ervina. Delia later married Ed Wilkie. They had two children, Clara and Fred. Martha never married and died at age 25. Fritz died in 1948.


Henry (Hein) Kulper was born in Germany in 1836 (son of Heine and Rebecca Kulper). He spent many years behind the mast in the Pacific. He took up a homestead on Chelatchie Prairie in 1859, pursuing farming and stock raising and proved up in 1864. In 1883 he came to Lewis River, settling on a 140 acre tract at the junction of the North and East Forks of the Lewis River. He later bought 266 acres joining on the north on which he built a home. He had a fishery and had 40 acres in hops in the 90's. He revolutionized the manner of stringing up the hops, using 10' cedar posts 70 feet apart with galvanized wire strung between and #8 twine at each hill to the wire.

Mr. Kulper had done much traveling before he settled down to farm and family life and was considered a learned man of the world.

In 1865 he married Nancy Eaton, daughter of Joseph Eaton. They had seven children: Joseph, Hein, Rebecca, Emma, James, Matilda, John, Lulu and Otto. Rebecca married Judge Cahill and lived in Chelatchie. James drowned in the Columbia River (1889) at age 18.


Judge Columbia Lancaster was a prominent man in our Oregon and Washington Territorial history. He was a strong advocate for the separation of Washington from Oregon Territory. In December 1849, he took up a Donation Land Claim along the south bank of the Lewis River in Clark County. The following year he built a fine home. Some of the finished material for the interior was brought around the Horn.

In 1854, he was elected at the first Washington Territorial convention as a delegate to congress. While in Washington D. C. he negotiated the purchase by the U. S. Government of all the property belonging to the Hudson's Bay Company, lying within the limits of the U. S.

The first telegraph in this area was operated by his son, Waite, in their home. A blockhouse located where the John Smearman farm is, was called Rose in honor of the Judge's wife Rosana. A voting precinct near Woodland bears his name.

He was born in New Millford, Litchfield County, Connecticut, August 26, 1803. His parents were Benjamin and Hannah (Knowles) Lancaster. His father was a descendent of the Quaker family of Lancasters of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. In his later life he wrote to a historian of Michigan that his parents had first named him Thomas and that after the Lewis and Clark expedition they changed it to Columbia. When he was a young lad his parents lived at Canfield, Ohio and then at Allum Creek, Ohio. He studied law and in 1830 he went to St. Joseph Creek, Ohio. He studied law and in 1830 he went to St. Joseph County, Michigan, where he finally settled at Centerville and eventually became prominent in the history of that county and state. He married Rosana Jones of Canfield, Ohio and in 1847, they and a small daughter came by covered wagon to Oregon. Their children were: Sarah, Hannah and Waite. Sarah married a Mr. Heitman and settled at La Center, Wash., and descendants of that family still live there. Hannah married Ned Tysxkiewiez.

The Judge sold his place in 1883 and moved to Vancouver where he died in 1893. His wife died later and both are buried in the old cemetery out on 10th street. His old home can be seen across the river where the railroad bridge crosses. The present owners, the Aubrey Morgan family have moved the home a short distance up the hillside and have added a south wing. But the exterior has been kept much as it formerly was.

About 1851, the Judge's parents moved from Ohio to Burr Oak, Michigan and the mother Hannah died there in 1866. The father Benjamin came west to visit his children. He died December 7, 1867 and is buried in the I.O.O.F. cemetery.

The Judge's sister, Mary and her husband, Jacob Klady and three children came by covered wagon from Centerville, Michigan arriving at the Lancaster home September, 1852. She married later, George Love, of Woodland. Her son, Columbia Lancaster, namesake of the Judge settled in the Lewis River valley.

The Judge's sister, Jane and husband, Jabez Cowles came from Goldendale, Washington sometime in the 1880's. Many of the pioneer's children were ushered into this world with the assistance of "Aunt Jane". Her husband died Dec. 13, 1896 and a few years later she returned to Michigan. (Prepared by May Klady Guild and daughter, Grace Guild Davis, January 1958)

LANE, FRED see James Burke family


John Wesley Lawyer, born 1834, brought his family to Woodland probably in 1880's. He at one time owned the portion of the John S. Bozorth place where Carlton Conrad now lives. On this land, Mr. Lawyer donated an acre to the I.O.O.F. cemetery. In 1906 the place was sold to Sam Conrad. Mr. Lawyer, who was a fine violinist, died in 1913. The children were: Christina, Henry, Matilda, William, Amanda and Dora.

Christina married Mr. Abraham and they had two children, Wesley and Ina. Christina later married Albert Hank and they had a son Herman. This Albert Hank build the house now owned by Frank Burham. Christina later married Howard Bozorth.

Henry married a Portland girl. Their son's name was Wesley.

Mr. Albert Moe married Matilda. There were seven children in the Moe family. Mrs. Alice Wallace Schiewe remembers visiting the Moe family at their home back of La Center. Mrs. Schiewe recalls the apples and prunes drying on racks near the ceiling and corn hanging in clusters for the same purpose. These dried foods were tasty winter supplies.

William, born 1869, and his wife, Annie Keene, a sister of Mrs. Loly Scott, were a remarkable couple. William was the "handyman" of the community. He was a blacksmith and built Woodland's first electric line from the Kalama River electric plant to Woodland in 1906. Anne Keene Lawyer was very civic minded and took part in most of the activities in Woodland. Her special interest was the genealogy of the Lawyer clan and she was an active member of the Presbyterian Church.

Herb and Dan were the sons of Amanda Lawyer and her husband, Mr. Ulery. Amanda later married Mr. Dillaboy.

Dora Lawyer married Dave Wallace. Their four children were Arthur (Dusey), Claude, Grace and Alice. Dusey married Rose Utter and they had two children, Erma and Dorothy. Marguerite was the only child of Claude and his wife Edna Fisher Wallace. The children of Grace and her husband Harry Griesen, Hilgar and Lucile Griesen, were adopted by their grandparents, the Dave Wallaces. We all know Alice , who married Al Schiewe, and is one of our local Woodland School teachers.

LE LEWIS by Cliff Bozorth

The westward migration of the 1840-1860 era of American history saw the influx of a multitude of people into the Pacific northwest who were willing to undertake the privations of a long trek across the Great Plains and Rocky Mountain regions to find a home in a land that bore promise of something better than they had ever known.

The Willamette Valley received the majority of the wagon train settlers but the valleys tributary to the Columbia River on the north also welcomed a goodly number.

In 1845 came Adolphus Le Lewis for whom the Lewis River received its name. He settled on the river down stream from the present location of Woodland. He was in the employ of the Hudson's Bay Company and set up a mercantile business on the river.

Le Lewis had left England in 1832, probably then under employ of Hudson's Bay. He arrived in Vancouver in 1844 and was an overseer for the Company in these parts having charge of a herd of cattle on the Lewis River. Fredrick Le Lewis, a half brother of Adolphus, came to the valley in the spring of 1849 and joined Adolphus on the River where the latter died in 1856. Fredrick Le Lewis lived on the home place until after the turn of the century.

The father of the Le Lewis', John Le Lewis, was Chief Factor of the Hudson's Bay Co. at Fort Colville, Washington Territory at this time. He sent a bill of goods to his sons on the Lewis River in 1851 from which supply they started the first store in the northwest portion of Clark County. This store lasted three years or until Adolphus death.

Fredrick Le Lewis married Milly Willis Bozorth, the 10th child of Squire and Milly Bozorth.

Children resulting from the union were Adolphus Lee Lewis, Eliza, Harry, Rose, Archie and Georgia, all of who were born in Washington Territory on the Lewis River.

LISHAN, SAMUEL by Grace Hillis

The Lishan DLC is a beautiful piece of property in Clark County, Washington but what of its history? Well, it seems a Samuel Lishan, a native of Wales, made his way to the United States, around the Horn and to Portland, Oregon. All his travel was by sailing vessel and it wasn't long until he again set sail, but this time, it was down the Columbia and up the Lewis where he made claim to property described as Sections 19, 20, 29 and 30 in Township T, Range 1, east of the Willamette Meridian. (Book 1, page 107, to be found in the Clark County Courthouse vault.) This early record shows the claim as No. 42 and the notification as No. 573. There is also a survey date of 11/5/1859. This date of, or year of, 1859 however, is the patent date as the date the claim was made was 10/22/1852. The Lewis River to the west was known as one boundary, on the east were school lands and a claim belonging to William S. Wilson; north was the Bratton Claim and south were lands held by a Mr. Fairchild. This Samuel Lishan DLC was comprised of 632.20 acres.

The original cabin, which set on a bench of land within easy walking distance of a spring, which is still used as the water supply for the Hillis property (37204 NW Pacific Hwy), is gone. No trace remains of this swelling (bench of land) nor of the graves of Samuel and his wife, Minerva. These good people were buried near an oak tree beside the old wagon road which led away from Woodland on the East Side of the Lewis River. This location is probably part of the filbert orchard where at the edge can be seen the old wagon road marks on what is now the Buswell land. The graves were described as being located as "where you broke over the hill".

The original Samuel Lishan had three sons, Samuel, John and Bill. To these three his land was willed. By this time Samuel the second was living in the Pendleton area, where he took part in the last Indian Battle in Oregon. This must have been 1878 or about that year as it was 1879 that the three brothers deeded the property to a J. H. Turner and a F. N. Beagle. In this transaction Samuel received $110.00, William $110.00 and John $50.00. The entire claim went for $270.00 in all!! (Book "O" pages 18, 19, and 129. Clark Co. Abstract Co.)

Even with the change in ownership three Lishans were born on properties of the DLC. These were Samuel, the son of the original Samuel; Selder (Tom) E. of the present Vancouver Washington Police Department and Selder's daughter, Lucille Marie Lishan.

A few of the owners of portions of the claim, during the years have been the previously mentioned F. H. Beagle and J. H. Turner, James Johnson, Albert Busswell, Henry Dyer, Alice Lynns, V. A. Gripper, Arthur Nikkols, Mable Erstad, H. H. R. Rashford, H. L. Gilbert, Sena Kutits (this spelling may be incorrect. G.H.), the Hillis', F. Rhoades, Claude Smith and Geo. Hawk. (2000.... the Hillis', Gilberts, L. Livermore, C. Behrendson, Stuart and Judy Card, Eric and Lisa Schei, the Doves, others).

During the time that Geo. Hawk owned a portion of the land, he raised hops and the hop house set at almost the same site as the now existing Nate Rhoades home. People, who remember the hop yard tell us there probably were 8 or 10 acres devoted to this crop. Evidences of the orchard may still be seen in areas now covered with brush and trees such as the property now known as the Dyer Place. At one time this was open fields, where crops were raised.

Another interesting fact is that an early school known as the Bratton School stood on or near what is now the Buswell property. Since this school was in session only three months in the Spring and three months in the Fall there were many teachers. Some of the readers may remember the names of these who served as instructors at this Bratton School: Daisy Bennett, Ida Reigel, Louis Wendel, Pat Kane, Jim Kane, Mary Kane, and A. D. Willoughby, who rode by the Griffith home, when Ed Griffith was for and a half and asked Ed's mother if Ed couldn't go to school. So Ed, all 4 1/2 years of him, was placed behind Mr. Willoughby on his horse and with his small legs sticking out across the big horse, off he went to Bratton School.

Bratton School also served as a gathering place for Sunday Worship and more of those fine earlier settlers attended than you might think. Many walked over trails from their homes to the service.

Here should be mentioned those who are left in the little cemetery on the face of the hill overlooking the Lewis River. Some have been moved because of the present day highway but these remain:

E. G. Davis - died ;March 27, 1888 - 63 years, 9 months, 4 days.

Nancy M. Kinder - wife of Galatin Kinder who had a DLC on the river - born January 21, 1806 - died January 18, 1889

Chas. William, son of J. W. and S. E. Copeland (Charter members of the Presbyterian Church) January 22, 1865 - June 15, 1872

Della, daughter of J. W. and S. E. Copeland December 6, 1863 - June 26, 1884

Chas. Stratton born at North Field, Massachusetts October 4, 1819 died at Woodland March 8, 1887.

Although the Griffith property was part of the Fairchild DLC, I thought this an interesting bit of information. It seems that Ed Griffith helped his father plant 135 or 140 peach trees in 1893. Under each tree they placed a bucket of smelt. Peaches were known to grow large and sweet in this immediate area. The following spring the Griffith family were forced to leave there home by row boat, from their second floor window. The flood of '94 also took those peach trees so hopefully planted.

I feel you should know that Selder (Tom) Lishan was most helpful in aiding me with this information as was "Eddie" Griffith. Mr. Lishan is the one with the Police Department of Vancouver, Washington and Mr. Griffith lives here in Woodland.


Mr. and Mrs. Littler probably came into the Lewis River District with the Tom Chattersons and Aaron Evans in the 1880's. Mrs. Tom (Hannah) Chatterson and Aaron Evans were children of Mrs. Littler by a former marriage to Mr. Evans.

The Littlers first settled up back of the Ferguson place east of the little Kalama Road, and later moved across the river to a place back of the Gardners. Their children were Sherman, Lida, Tom and John. Sherman and John married but it is not known to whom, Lida married Edward Gardner (see Daniel White Gardner family), Tom married Stella Matthews (see Lee Matthews family).

Tom Chatterson was a prominent Woodland business man owning a butcher shop and a furniture and hardware store at different times. He was an undertaker and charter member of the Woodland I.O.O.F. Tom and Hannah Chatterson had one daughter, Mary, who married E.E. Heald. The Healds had one son, Tom and one daughter, Leona who never married and is teaching in the Seattle schools.

LOVE, G. W. by Mrs. J. J. (May) Guild and daughters Lydia, Grace and Alice

G. W. Love was born September 5, 1822 in New York state. In 1865 Mr. Love owned the place now known as the F. M. Lane place along Highway 99 North, by the hills. He married Mrs. Jacob Klady in the fall of 1871. Mr. Love sold his place to W. M. Black in the fall of 1876, and bought the place now located on Guild Road and now divided into four places. In 1882 Mr. Love sold to B. C. Guild.

Mr. love lived awhile at Pekin then bought in Woodland, On Sept. 17, 1893 he moved from Woodland to Ashland, Oregon. Mrs. Love, who was C. L. Klady's mother died in Ashland on April 12, 1896. Mr. Love moved back to Woodland the summer of 1899 and died in November of that same year. He was buried in the I.O.C. Cemetery. He had two sons, Lester and Delbert, and a daughter, Mrs. Tucker. Delbert inherited the Ashland property and Lester the Woodland property, which he and his wife Emerette plotted into Love's Addition.

LUELLING, ALBERT W. by nephew Curtis Gardner

Albert Luelling with his sister, Aseneth and father, Henderson Luelling emigrated from Iowa in 1847. they brought the first wagon load of nursery stock to the Oregon country, settling in Milwaukie, Oregon. It was seven-year old Albert's job to keep the plants watered on the trip across the plains.

The Luellings crossed the plains in 1847 and settled in Milwaukie. The Bozorth family settled in 1847 on a portion of the present Portland International Airport where they lived until 1851. Both families came from Iowa and may have been acquainted there or it was while living in adjoining communities here that John Shaw Bozorth and Aseneth Luelling became acquainted and were married May 9, 1850. They took up a DLC on Lewis River in 1852 and it must have been while visiting his sister or working in the Lewis River area that Albert became acquainted with his future bride, Mary Gardner. Mary had other suitors but Grandma Gardner strongly advised in favor of Albert.

Family history says, "On October 4, 1874 a triple wedding ceremony was performed at the home of his sister Aseneth and brother-in-law John Shaw Bozorth at which time he married Mary Gardner, Howard Bozorth married Adelina (Adella on headstone) Martin and Wiley Martin married Mary Elizabeth Bozorth. C. C. Bozorth, brother of John Shaw, performed the ceremony.

The Luellings settled on the NE portion of his brother-in-law's DLC and lived there until his death February 7, 1883. They had three children: Tressie Aseneth, born May 25, 1877, married Carl M. Swanson May 23, 1898; Winifred Myrtle, born January 26, 1879 who married Charles Guy Younger on July 12, 1905; Viola born July 29, 1880 and died at the age of seven.


Mr. and Mrs. Lars Lund, parents of Robert Lund, crossed the Atlantic from Silkeborg, Denmark to make a new life in Rawlins, Wyoming. Mr. Lund came to the U. S. first and went to work in a Railroad Machine Shop, a job he obtained through friends who were already living in Rawlins, in the year 1872. Two years later he sent to Denmark for his bride-to-be, Christina Rasmussen. They lived in Rawlins after their marriage for eight years. During that time 3 daughters were born to them: Anna, Laura and Malvina. In 1882 the family came to Portland, Oregon and Mr. Lund worked for Swicher and Wolf Machine Shop, for 2 years prior to the time they moved to La Center. They came to the Pine Grove Community and purchased 80 acres, mostly timber and brush, from Jacob Eissen. Eissen was a bachelor of middle age, who after selling the farm, operated a livery stable in La Center. Two more children, Robert and Christina were born on the home farm to complete the family. In 1912 Mr. Lund passed away and 5 years later both Christina and Laura died.

Robert, as a young man, homesteaded 160 acres of land near Raymond. His older sister, Anna married a school teacher, Mr. Fred Meyer at Pine Grove in 1896 and also moved to Raymond to establish a home. In later years Robert, in partnership with Otto Eblbeck, operated a threshing machine run by a steam engine for 14 years. They traveled the country from the Woodland bottoms to Etna, Hayes, Highland, View and south of La Center, threshing the harvest crops for local farmers. During the threshing days each family they went to fed them generously, only in the poorer sections of View did they fare badly and they nicknamed this territory "hardscrapple".

Malvina Lund married Reuben Triber of Portland, Oregon. Later they build a home in Gresham and lived there from then on.

In 1814 Robert married Anna Aagaard, daughter of Martin Aagaard of Highland, and they continued to live on the home place henceforth. Two children were born to them, Bernice and Mildred.

Mrs. Christine Lund outlived her husband many years, her death occurring when she was 95 years old.


The Mike Lynches moved into the Cedar Creek area about 1882. Mr. Lynch, besides farming, bought the Cedar Creek Grist Mill and ran it for a while. Later he leased it to Gustav Utter. Mrs. Lynch died in 1906 and Mr. Lynch moved to California. Their children were: Pat, Mike, Will, Ellen, Lizzie and Kate. Ellen was a school teacher and never married. Lizzie married a Mr. Myick, a California school professor. Kate never married, she was also a school teacher.


Carpenter Martin with his family lived on the Butte Hill road. He later moved to Ostrander.


William F. Martin was born at Fishers, Washington in 1866. William's mother died when Will was 8 years old and he struck out on his own to make his mark in life. He had come to the Lewis River and worked on farms around the Lewis River country when he met and married Minnie Kletch, sister of Charley Kletch, known Lewis River farmer and fisherman.

The Martins set up housekeeping on Butte Hill first, then moved down closer to Woodland where he worked the Le Lewis and Guilds places in partnership with Joe Goerig. In 1906 Mr. Martin bought the Hopf Hotel from L. Hopf and livery barn across the street from Charley Fisher. The following year he enlarged the hotel by adding a wing on the west side and replacing the old barn with a larger one, handling his livery stable business in the meantime, from an old barn back of the hotel. The new barn which still stands and is now known as Meeker & Co. (349 Davidson) was completed in 1907. The equipment consisting of platform scales, wagons, hacks, buggies, carts, saddles and horses was installed.

The next year 1908, a fire destroyed the hotel and several buildings across Davidson Avenue. The fire occurred in June and in September the new hotel, the present Grange Hall, was completed. The lumber came from John Peterson's Mill on Marble Creek at present Ariel Dam. Lumbers was flumed down to the river where it was rafted and floated down to Woodland. Mr. Martin rented the hotel to John Stevens.

In 1913 Mr. Martin shipped in a carload of Fords and became the first Ford Dealer in Woodland. At that time Fred Oliver was selling Maxwell cars.

In 1916 Mr. Martin sold the livery barn and in 1921 sold the hotel to Byron Colvin, Dorothy Potter's parents. He then bought a portion of the Sol Strong DLC from Arthur Caples.

Mr. Martin died in 1932 at age 66. Their children were: Jesse A. who married Gertrude Roberts; Pearl who married Ellen Miles: Earl who married Catherine Dunham; Fred who married Mildred Backeberg; and Ida who married C. N. Corey.

MARTIN, WILLIAM H. by Hilda Tanner, great granddaughter

William Henry Martin, an early settler was born in 1809 in Philadelphia, Penn. His wife, Rhoda Crossley was born in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1813. They crossed the plains by ox team in 1849 and arrived in St. Helens in 1850. They came by boat from St. Helens to what is now known as Martin's Island.

Grandma Martin was so glad to be at the end of the journey that she started to sing. People living on Deer Island heard her and rowed across the river. They were so glad to see new people come that they asked Mr. Martin why he didn't stay there. Grandpa Martin took a DLC and settled there.

Later on he homesteaded on the mainland. He built a log house on the land where I now live. My great grandmother planted asparagus and a flower called "Bouncing Betty". The asparagus came up every year until they put in the new highway. We figured it was 90 years. I am still trying to dig up the flowers, they are a nuisance.

Later, abut 1858, the Martin's home was built at Martin's Bluff and it stood until it was torn down when the new highway was put through in 1945.

The Martins had six children. He had been married before and had two children by that marriage: Frank (he was Bill Martin's father) and Ann Martin Merrill. The others were: Abigail (who was eight years old when she crossed the plains), William, Clara, John, Henry, Herbert and Iva. Abigail married Jim Burke (see Jim Burke family); William married Elizabeth Goerig (see F.N. Goerig family); John C. married Alice ...ppery; Clara married William Gardner; Henry never married; Herbert and Iva drowned in a boat swamping at Martin's Bluff in 1902.

William Martin built ;a grist mill on what is now called Mill Creek. A man named Frank Jenkins came out from the east and ran it for him. One of his daughters married William Burke. William Martin died in 1879 and his wife died in 1897.

MATTHEWS, LEE (see Powell family)

MAXWELL, GEO. W. by Willa Maxwell Brain

I have been asked to write something of what I remember and what my parents have told me about Pekin and some of the pioneers living in that vicinity. Since Pekin itself dates back to more than 100 years ago, I shall begin by giving the names of the postmasters who served there over the years. The first Post Office was established there on Apr. 29, 1854 and was discontinued December 4, 1855. Jefferson Huff was the first postmaster. The Post Office was reestablished on August 27, 1861 with William Ginder as postmaster. Succeeding postmasters, until the discontinuance again on April 5, 1883 were as follows: Wm. Bratton Sr. May 22, 1863; Gustav Greve May 16, 1866; Patrick Quinn January 12, 1869; F. H. Marsh January 17, 1872; F. Le Lewis August 4, 1873; John W. Caples May 11, 1874; Charles Miller April 3, 1876; Andrew F. Millard August 9, 1876; Thos. s. Colvin May 22, 1877; C. C. Byuth July 20, 1877; Christopher Bozorth September 7, 1877; Melissa L. Taylor February 28, 1882; Lawrence V. Maxwell May 24, 1882 and J. A. McElheny March 2, 1883.

The Post Office was reestablished on February 5, 1884 with James L. Rosenfeld as Postmaster, discontinued permanently on November 11, 1886.

The foregoing names and dates were obtained from the National Archives and Records Service in Washington D. C.

I will return to more about Pekin later but now would like to relate something of the history of my father, George W. Maxwell, who was closely connected with early day life in both Oregon and Washington and on the Columbia and Lewis Rivers.

He was born on July 29, 1832 in Dayton, Ohio. He came west to northern California in 1851 where he mined for a year or so near Yreka then came to Yamhill County, Oregon in 1853. He later joined the Oregon rangers and took part in the Yakima Indian war of 1855-56. In the late 1850's he married Joann Caples, whose parents had come with their families to Oregon in 1844.

Their son Lawrence Victor was born in Dayton, Oregon September 9, 1860. Later the family moved to Washington Territory and located on the Columbia River in Cowlitz county across from Columbia City, Oregon, also known as Maxwell's Landing. Chester Belden Maxwell was born here on July 16, 1868. Sometime later the Maxwell's separated and Mr. Maxwell went to Idaho where he mined for sometime.

He served in the Territorial Legislature of Washington in 1872. During the first part of the 1880's he managed the store at Pekin for the owner, James L. Rosenfeld. Business was good for there were not any stores in the country at that time, and people came from a long distance by wagon and team or on the river by row boat.

There were many Indians in the country then, and since Mr. Maxwell could speak their "jargon" many of them became very good customers, and some lasting friendships were made.

My father and mother, who was Mary E. Davis, daughter of Ennels Slouess Davis, were married on January 4, 1885 and moved to Maxwells Landing on the Columbia, where I was born January 21, 1886. They remained there for about three years, then moved to Idaho, but soon returned to Washington and to Lewis River, where my father bought the interests of my mother's two brothers in the property their father had owned on the Clark County side of the river, and also their interests in the property owned by their grandmother, Nancy Kinder, directly across on the Cowlitz side of the river; this joined the Pekin Property, which I believe consisted of about one acre. He lived on this place for several years.

My father was interested in raising trotting horses so had made a half mile track here where he broke and trained his horses. Much of my time was spent with the horses too. I wanted most of all a riding horse, and while none of these were broke to the saddle, I often went out into the pasture and climbed aboard one; sometimes this worked out all right and again it was not so good and I would find myself sitting on the ground. I've often wondered how I ever lived long enough to grow up; fortunately most of these horses were very gentle.

I realize now that there was much hard work for my parents here, but for me it was a wonderful, carefree life. There were many boats on the river then other than the one that made regular trips to Portland. The old "Hustler" seems to be one that I remember most, though there were many others that traveled up and down the river. We would see one go up then later it would come back down towing a barge load of cord wood or railroad ties, or perhaps pulling a long raft of logs. One day I was in the yard and saw what looked like a very large boat rounding the bend a short distance below Pekin; this was the "Mascot" making her first trip into Lewis River.

The flood of 1894 stands out in my memory, as I am sure it does with any of those who were living on river bottom land at that time. That year was never to be forgotten.

Mrs. Quinn and her foster son Joe May, who lived a short distance below Pekin, and on lower ground, moved up to our place. But when the water reached a depth of five feet in the house it was considered unwise to remain there any longer, so a camp was set up on the hill across the river. Before this my father had taken his horses to Vancouver, so they left my mother and me and Mrs. Quinn and Joe to carry on. Phillip Lee, who lived near was with us most of the time, and was a great help.

On the second of June, when the water was just about at its highest, a terrific storm came, bringing thunder, lightening, wind and rain. Just before this Joe had gone to Woodland in a row boat, across the river and up the road from Pekin. We learned afterwards that he had started home but the wind had blown the boat back, just how he got to the George Goerig place, I do not know, but when he got back to camp he was wearing some of Mr. Goerig's clothes.

After the wind had subsided we looked across the river and saw that our barn had moved over toward the house and settled on a ridge. The house on the Columbia where I was born left its foundation and went down river; the old store building at Pekin slipped from its light posts and settled to the ground. The McGrotty and Theadore Perry families had been living in the building for some time before this. The Bedford place was farther down the river and large rocks had been put into the house to keep it from floating away. This method was used with other houses along the river.

Yes indeed, 1894 was a year to be remembered!

It was a long walk from our place to school at Woodland, but there were other children joining in along the way, so it was usually by a happy group who reached the school. At first there were Wesley and Ina Abraham who lived on Mrs. Bolen's place which joined our farm; then later from the same place came Lillian Gardner, Addy Strait and Walter Wright. On up the road a little farther we would be met by the Griffiths and Robinsons who had crossed over from the Clark County side, usually at the Lewis place there was some one to add to our group.

About 1898 we moved across the river to the Clark County place. My father maintained a ferry there just as my grandfather Davis had done while he lived there. We left here in 1903 and lived in the Enterprise community for a while before moving to Vancouver in 1906.

My father died on May 30, 1914 at the age of eighty-two and my mother passed away January 27, 1941 aged eighty-seven. My half brother Lawrence Maxwell married Lenora Murphy about 1898 and they had three children: Lawrence V., Lucille, and Charles, all deceased. Lenora died about thirty years ago, and Lawrence in July 1948. Chester married Helen Young in 1895, they have one daughter Muriel Leona who lives in Sacramento, as does her mother. Chester passed away on Sept. 1, 1945 at Port Townsend, Washington.

McAFFERTY, WILLIAM (see David Ross family)


Lewis Miller, originally from West Virginia, crossed the plains with his wife Rachel and children in 1851. They first settled in Hillsboro, Oregon and in 1864 moved to Lewis River buying the north half of the Kenzie and Jane Caples DLC. They lived there until 1877 when the place was sold to G. W. Love. Love, in 1882 sold to B. C. Guild, by whose name the place is known.

On their trip across the plains they were attacked by the Indians. In one raid Sarah, the eldest daughter, received an arrow in her shoulder. While fleeing from the Indians with one of the younger girls in her arms. Old timers remember Grandma (Rachel) Miller. After selling the farm on the bottoms she and her son Orlando C. moved to the upper valley just above the present Clover Valley School where she spent her remaining years. She died at age 94. At her death Orlando sold to Charles Houghton and spent his remaining days in his usual carefree manner. Orlando was a great trader, he kept the front room full of trading articles from jack knives to bicycles and dog-powered thread mills. His jokes are legion.

The Lewis and Rachel Miller children were: Sarah married a Mr. Gibbs; John married Ann Lockwood and their children were: Jasper, Lester, Gus and Fred. Carl and Lillian were children of a later husband, Gus Greve. Jasper married Lizzie Palmer and their children were Arthur, Henry, Frank and Walter. Hanson marred Jane Hanson, their children are: Ada (married George Dufeur), Ocea, by a former husband, married .....ia Gaddis. Orlando never married. Melissa married Al Houchens. Emma married George Backman (for children see George Backman family). Amanda married Jack Powell, their children were: Preston, Shedrick, John, Frank and Ben. Mary married Lew Powell. Lorenzo never married.

MILLARD, ANDREW by Lena Hamblen and Cliff Bozorth

Andrew Francis Millard, 1852-1898, was a long time resident of the Lewis River district. He was made Pekin Postmaster in 1876 and later became County Commissioner, Woodland area. He married Martha Gatton. Five children were born and raised in the vicinity of Woodland. There is Edward F. Millard, the eldest, (deceased) who was born in 1885. He served his district as County Commissioner for two terms (1946-1950). Edward F. Millard married Florence Ditmer from which union came four children, all daughters: Lodema (Goerig), Marilyn (Sandstrom), Lena (Beard) and Eddie (Neilson). Guy Millard, one time resident of Woodland (this is as it was in the original but seem disconnected to the rest of the sentence, who was Guy Millard? jc), Lena Millard (Hamblen) a present resident of Woodland was born in 1889. She married Bart Hamblen and has one son, Millard B. who has an interest in a mercantile business in Woodland. Arleigh was drowned in 1923 when the bridge went out in Kelso. Fred died in March 1957.


Frank and Marie Olsen Murk came to Lewis River in 1889 and bought from Francis Colvin a tract of land lying east of Colvin Creek. Here they built a home and raised a family. With his family settled in the new home next year he began logging on the Charley Embody place. He increased his operations until in a few years he had a ten bull team dumping logs into the river. His son, Gilbert, related that his father chartered the steamer "Bismark" to carry a load of feed to his camp. The "Bismark" made it up to but not over the Speilei riffle. The boat had to pull in below the riffle and unload.

Mr. Murk continued logging in the upper Lewis River country and after the big fire in 1902 he and his son Gilbert started logging in Yale with a donkey engine using horses on the skid road. That year he sold out to John Peterson and started farming on the bottoms. He then moved east of the mountains, then to Hubbard, Oregon where he died.

Their children were: Anna, Gilbert, Nina, Justice, Louise, Leota, Arnold, Frances and Ida. Anna taught school several years then married Albert Burcham and now lives in St. Helens, Oregon. Gilbert married Eva Tullock and they had two sons, Clarence and Marion. Gilbert later married and he and his wife are now living in Woodland. Nina married L. G. DeWolf. Justice married Mabel Quinn. Justice died several years ago, (about 1934). Mabel was City Treasurer for many years and is now living with her daughter, Mrs. John Hannam. Louise died at age 17. Leota married Phil Parrot. Arnold drowned in Speilei river at age 22. Frances married Rex Brisbois. Ida married Ervin Hoestetler.


Ben and Cordelia Hudson Newkirk with their baby Malissa, came from Illinois to Oakland, Oregon. They lived there a few years during which time Mrs. Newkirk died, then Mr. Newkirk and daughter (about 1868) moved to Lewis River and settled on the present C. M. Bryant place ( State Highway 503 and Fredrickson Road) in the Reno district. Mr. Newkirk never remarried.

Malissa Newkirk married George Davis, son of Nathan Davis, and they had one daughter, Leila. Leila married Carl A. Tangen and their children were Melissa, George, Cordelia and Carl C. For their children see Carl A. Tangen family.

Carl Tangen says Nathan Davis and Ben Newkirk were always lawing. He says Grandpa Davis, on his death bed said to Leida, "Your other grandpa broke me. All I've left is ten acres and I'm giving it to you."

Sam Newkirk, brother of Ben, settled on a place joining Bens. He was a cobbler by trade and after several years on the farm he moved the family to Kelso where he pursued the cobblers trade. He later ran a restaurant there. Mr. & Mrs. Newkirk later moved to Woodland then to Portland and back to Woodland, spending their remaining years here. Their children were: Bill, who married Grace Hawkins, see also Geo. D. Hawkins family. Effie who married John Axtel. Myrtle who married Alfred Newkirk. John who never married. Quince who married (girl not known).


Tom Oliver came to Woodland in 1876 and bought a portion of the Joe Eaton DLC from a Mr. Lemmon. Besides farming, Mr. Oliver was a hop grower from 1890 to 1905, and later after his wife had died and he had moved to town, he occupied himself in business. Tom Oliver married Hattie Timmons and their children were: Inez, who married Lawrence Goerig; Judson who married Linda Guild; Louis who never married; Walter and Peal both married but it is not known to whom. The Tom Olivers were married at Woodstock, New Bruinswick, Canada. They moved to Eureka, California where Inez was born. The rest of the children were born on the Lewis River farms.

OLIVER. T.E. by Merle, Mrs. Wm. Blum, daughter of T. E. Oliver

T. E. Oliver came to Woodland from Oregon City in 1889. Born in 1870 in Iowa and lived in Kansas before coming west. Bought the store in 1900 and built the store, which is now a tavern in 1910. Had first car in Woodland, a 1910 Studebaker. Built the garage in 1911, which is the present Administration Building (100 Davidson Ave.). Served as a school director and on the City Council.

Married March 15, 1908 to Zella Crofutt, niece of Mrs. Mary Webb who worked in the store with him. Their children were: Merle, born December 22, 1908; Dora, born November 10, 1910; Laretta, born April 8, 1912; Theresa, born April 19, 1918; Ted, born April 19, 1918 and Elmer, born May 1, 1920.

Dad thinks Webbs came to Woodland about the year 1876. Mary Webb came in 1900 when Dad got the store. Dad moved to Washougal in September 1933 and then moved to Camas in January 1958.


Henry Page, his wife Mary and sons, Fred and Charley, came to Lewis River before 1862. Probably John being the youngest, was born here. They settled on what is now the George Anderegg and Auction Barn places. Fred was a farmer. He probably took over after his father's death. Probably his mother kept house for the boys. Charley and John were loggers. Fred married Edna Martin (mother of Wyley Martin). She was born in 1831 and died in 1889. Fred was born in 1831 and died in 1899. John never married. Charley married late in life to Miss Minnie Jackson, a music (organ and piano) teacher of considerable charm. All through her life Miss Jackson was anxious to find out who her parents were. Through an early adoption and change of parental care she lost track and never found out. She and Charley lived in what is now the Robert Barr or Mabel Erstead house (Goerig and Lakeshore Drive) in Woodland which had previously been built by the Pages.

Fred Page was well liked in the community. He always welcomed upriver settlers and permitted them to unhitch and feed their horses at his barn, when, to cut down ferry fare, they would cross in a skiff and walk into town. He warned them though, not to unhitch if they had any bulls eye (marguerites) in the wagon box.

John and Charley were typical loggers except that neither could swim. John was especially hot headed and is known to have cursed man, God and beast when he was pulled out of the river after falling from a slippery log.

Literary or debating societies were very popular. The Vancouver Independent of February 2, 1877 stated that the Lewis River Literary Society elected the following officers: President, John Page; Vice President, Amelia Bozorth; Secretary, C. L Klady; Treasurer, Alice Bozorth and Guard, Hanson Miller. So it appears that John was interested in social contacts too.

Headstones of the page family in the Page and Matthews cemetery read as follows: Henry page - b. Bucksport, Me. 11/1/1811 d. 12/21/1867

Mary E. Page - b. Hope, Me. 4/16/1816 d. 10/03/1893

Charles Page - 1841-1920 John E. Page 1834 d. 4/1/1893

Minnie Jackson Page - b. 1847 d. 10/20/1932


David and Sarah Parker settled near Cedar Creek in 1875. Their children were: Ethie, Anna, William, Rhoda, Mattie and Inez. Ethie married Oscar Christie; Anna married and moved away; William drowned in Reid Mill Pond when he was 21 or 22. Rhoda never married, she died young of T. B. (tuberculosis). Mattie married Turman Scott and their children were : Robert, Elmer, Norman, and Wilbur. Inez married but name unknown.


Luther L. Paulsen, born in Ohio in 1849, and Matilda (Minnie) Dequelquefeu, born in Normandy, France, first came west to Portland, where he had a 40 acre farm in Ladds Addition. In 1882 they moved to Cedar Creek where they farmed until 1900 when he went into the sawmill business. He had eighteen hundred acres of land and timber in 1914 when he sold and moved to Portland, returning to the Lewis River in 1925 where they spent their last years. Their children were: Luther, Henry, William (Tad), John, Virginia and George. Luther married Leona Shanks; Henry married a Woodland widow for whom he was working; Tad married Leona Hawkins and their children were George, Walter and Mildred. John married a Portland woman; Virginia married Geo. Geddings and they had two sons, George and Lawrence. She later married Claud Savyer and married Royce Mitchell. George married Daisy Rogers.


Nathan and Sara Pea in 1891 arrived in Kelso from Missouri with their ten children: Elizabeth, William, Emma, Charles, Mattie, John, Susie, Girtie, Frank and Pear. In 1893 Mr. Pea traded his Kelso home to Evin Cline for Cline's squatters rights or relinquishment on his claim on upper Lewis River between Jim Creek and George Creek.

He at once took his two boys Charley and John and his daughter Emma along for cook, and went up to the new place to prepare living quarters for the family. Mattie Stallcop now living in Woodland says the family moved up the following summer during the '94 flood.

Following is the Pea Family Tree: Elizabeth married Tom Kerr and their children were Albert, Anna and Arthur. William married Bertha ? and their children were Pearle and Nora. Emma married Will Fries and later married Charles Hartsock and they had one daughter, Velma. Charles married Lillie Wilkinson and their children were Ed, Jennie and Bob. Mattie married Fred Stallcop in 1897 and their children were Leonard, Leona, Lulu, Ina, Otis, Violet and Glen. John married Bessie Razey and their children were Everett, Edith and Dorcas. Edith is now Mrs. Walter ..ilton. Susie married Fred Taylor. Gertie married Ernie Stallcop. Frank married Addie Quinland. Pearl married Courtney Eaton. For their children see Joe Eaton family. For more about Fred and Ernie Stallcop, see the Stallcop family.


William Perlburg, an uncle of Carl and Fred Zuhl, came from Germany. The children were Minnie, Augusta, Bertha and Albert. Minnie married a Portland man. Augusta married Fred Wellmin of Damascus, Oregon. Bertha married Robert Heiser of Damacus, Oregon. Their children were Albert, Dick, Gladys and Helen. Albert married a niece of Mrs. Melville and separated after a short time. He later married Mrs. Ackerill and her children were Norma, who married Jake Gabreielson, and Martha who married Theophill Snyder. Mrs. Perlburg died after a long illness on the farm and Mr. Perlburg sold and moved away.

PETERSON, JOHN (listed as Arthur in orginal) by sons Arthur and John

John and Emma were both born in southern Sweden. John in 1866, Emma in 1869. Mr. Peterson arrived in Portland in 1887, he worked his way on a sailing ship to New York, came overland to San Francisco, up the coast on another ship to Portland. He worked high up in the mast tending sail, the trip up the coast was very rough but he loved it.

Mrs. Peterson came to the U. S. at the age of 19 and lived in Chicago a short while, she arrived in Portland in 1888. John and Emma did not know each other in Sweden. They became acquainted after their arrival in Portland, were married in 1892.

Mr. Peterson worked in the Wiedler saw mill, he started as a helper and became planer boss. In those days all the form tools for different shapes were hand made. John was very interested in his work and soon was making fancy moldings of all shapes. The family moved to Vancouver in 1900 and lived on a small farm on 4th Plain Road while John worked in a mill in Vancouver. He rode a bicycle to and from work.

After the big fire at Yacolt, the mill owner offered to finance Mr. Peterson in logging some of this burnt timber on the Lewis River. This was the beginning, he made good in a big way, and in a few years was on his own. His first logging camp was at Yale, with horses. He had the first steam donkey on the river which he bought from the Murk Bros. who were also logging near by. At the height of his operations he had five steam donkeys and four different camps. Some of these were logging at Yale, Lewis River Tie Mill, Marble Creek Logging Co., Marble Creek Tie Mill and the Saw Mill at Woodland. In operating these tie mills he built the mill at Woodland to save some of the side lumber which was being burnt up in the heavy slabs.

John was a good logger, he had the know how. He was known on Skid Road in Portland, no trouble with his crew, good food and bunkhouses. Some of his logging shows were good and some were rough. Marble Creek Mt. was as rough as they came. He has logged on both sides of the Lewis from Woodland to Cougar. His last logging was at the Yale Dam, not far from where he first started.

Early day logging on the Lewis had its ups and downs. The logs are dumped in the river, but would not reach the Columbia River, to be sold, until high water brought them out, (which was about twice a year). Once a year a drive would help send the logs down stream. Or, extra high water with the river full of logs, the boom at it's mouth would not hold all the logs and ties; the overflow would go out into the Columbia where most of them were lost. The Peterson family settled in the Lewis River area in 1903, on a farm at Kerns, about two miles up the river from Woodland. Later moving to North Woodland where the home still stands (1143 No. Goerig). Emma passed away May 16, 1942, age 74, to be followed by John December 20, 1947, age 83 years.

The Peterson log brands were: a circle with a "P" inside; a square with a "P" inside; a square with an "A" inside a "JP" combination letter; and a five pointed star.

John and Emma's children were: Ruth who married Goe (George or Joe?) Wiley; Arthur who married Myrtle Schulz; Edith who married James Murray; John E. who married Ruth Tash from eastern Oregon and Charles M. who married Erma Wallace.


Louis N. and Nellie Ellswick Plomondon came to Woodland and started the Woodland State Bank in 1912. George Plomondon came later. Louis and Nell's children are Lois, born 1911, who married Merritt (Berry) Holloway and George, born 1913. To the best of the writers knowledge Simon Plomondon was the first white man to set foot on Cowlitz County. He was there when Mt. St. Helens erupted December 1842. He was Lois's great-great-great-grandfather.


Shedrick and Elizabeth Powell started across the Plains with their daughters Rebecca and Pollyanna, and five sons, William, Lewis, Willis, Tom and Jackson in 1849. Shedrick died on the way, and Lewis, being the oldest son, was put in charge. William took up a DLC at the present Maynard place in 1853. No more is known of his activities except that he was there and helped the Daniel W. Gardner family across the river when they came in 1853 to settle on their DLC.

Lewis first married Miss Matthews, Lee Matthews' sister. Then later married Marry Miller in 1866. Gus Greve, Justice of the Peace officiated. Their children were: James, by his former marriage, Tom, Wesley, Henry, Newton, Perry, George, Andrew, William, Mark and Robert. James married Susie Allen. They had one child, Lewis. Tom married Florence Hunter and lived on the Little Kalama. Their children were Ruben, Mabel, Lawrence and Sadie. Wesley married Linda McGovern and their children were Jennie, Maude and Charles. Henry married Susie Beebe and their children were Nora, William and Glenn. (Nora married John Zyback.) Newton died young. Perry married Ethel Harper. George married Clara Fisher and their children were Eva and George. Andrew married Mabel Mill and had one boy, Earl. William was drowned at age twenty one while logging on Lewis River. Mark married Cora Oliver (daughter of Hod and Ann Oliver) and their children were Harold and Lola.

The Lew Powell farm was in the bend of the river where the Finn Hall now stands. The large two story picturesque house with upstairs veranda stoop, until a few years ago, by the roadside and was a welcome sight to weary passersby. Mr. and Mrs. Powell traded the farm for Kerns property where they lived out their allotted time.

Willis Powell married Naomi Spencer (George's sister). They lived on Lewis River. Jackson Powell married Amanda Miller and took a homestead on Green Mountain. Their children were Preston, Shedrick, John, Frank, and Ben. There they lived for many years. Tom married Noma Russell (Jim's sister) and their children were Pearl, Bessie and Ruth. Rebecca married a Mr. Reinlaub, their children were Conrad, Anna and Carrie. Pollyanna married Lee Matthews and their children were Lew, Clara, John, Ada, Jim, May, and Joella. Lew married Lucy Wright, Lish Wright's niece, and had one daughter Stella who married Tom Littler. Lew had five sons by a second marriage. Clara married Ed Martin. John never married. Ada married Albert Chase and they had three sons, Eddie, Paul and Glen. Jim married Susie Tucker (Silas Tucker's sister) and they had tow boys and two girls: Howard, James, Rose and Ada. May married Jim Sabin and their children were Len, Lee and Marie. Joella married Charles Houghton. (See Houghton family.)


John W. Quinn married Alora Dent, a relative of Ulysses S. Grant and homesteaded on the Sinslaw near Florence, Oregon. Then in 5 years they moved to Portland, then to Columbia City, then to the Webb (now the John Weeks) place. The Quinns rented two other places in the Woodland area at different times; the Ramesbotham and George Goerig places. Their children were: Bertha, born 1891 who married Ed Griffith (see Ben Griffith for children); Delia who married Arthur Caples; Mabel married Justice Murk and their children are Clifford, Dorothy and Donna.

Charley married Julia Fisher, sister of Clarisa Fisher Powell. Ed & Ros married but moved from the Woodland area. Verna married George Griffith.


William and Edith Durkee Ramesbotham bought the Cor. King place on Burris Creek in 1898. Mr. Ramesbotham farmed and their three children attended the Kerns school until it closed and was amalgamated into the Woodland district in 1907. The children then continued their schooling at Woodland. The children were as follows: Williard married Violet Powell; Ray married Bessie Englert (Ray just died at Washougal); Cora married Ben Julian.


Adam Reid, with his parents, the Robert Reids, and Ad's brother, Dave and sisters, Mrs. John Eggars and Mrs. Grantham, came from Indiana and settled in the View district. Ad in 1874 moved to Cedar Creek where he bought the Perkins Mill and place. He operated the mill until about 1900 when he sold out to his boys. Mr. Reid later formed a mill company consisting of himself, son Frank and Harry and Shell Anrys and another man. They operated this mill two years and sold out to the Harveys, who were to become extensive logging and mill operators.

The Ad Reid children were John, William, Frank, Perry, Florence, Hattie and Bessie (Bekkie). John never married. William married Vickie Phevie. Frank married Flora Phevie and they had one son, Francis and two daughters, Marion (who married Mr. Gird) and Vivian (who married Mr. Mason). Perry drowned as a young man in the Reid mill pond. Florence married John Richardson and they had two daughters. Florence later married Chris Olsen and they had no children. Hattie married Joe Ennis and later married Perle Crawford. Bekkie married a Mr. Starr. She later married Mr. White.

Later Ad Reid married Melissa (Mrs. Geo.) Davis, daughter of Ben Newkirk. Mr. Reid in 1876 with Mike Lynch built the Grist Mill on Cedar Creek. He for a while was in partnership in the mill business with Victor Phevie. The Reid mill furnished the lumber for many of the buildings in Woodland by floating lumber rafts down the river.


Harvey Reiker and daughter and two sons had a homestead on the Little Kalama. He and his son Fred had a sad engaging when, in a rage, they shot each other dead.

REMMINGTON, RANDOLPH see Silas Tucker Family


John Henry Robins was born in Collingwood, Canada in 1832. He was of Pennsylvania Dutch parentage but his family had moved to Canada before he was born. In 1851 he married Miss Jane Gray who had come from Dundock, Ireland as a very small child.

After the birth of their two eldest children they started moving first to Indiana and then to Kansas. They stayed several years in Kansas and some of their children were married there. Finally they joined a wagon train going west and traveled to Nebraska. The next year they joined another and moved on out to Colorado.

Here they engaged in the business of truck farming. A son-in-law, Jim Barr and a Mr. Gill also raised vegetables and sold the produce to miners in the Black Hills. They would load up a wagon with supplies of all kinds and travel up through the mining country.

Finally in 1876 the Frank Greathouse family (Mrs. Greathouse was Rose Anne Robins) moved on to Washington. They lived for a short time in Astoria but the climate was too damp and Mrs. Greathouse suffered with asthma. They decided to visit friends they had known in Kansas who were living at the old Bratton place. While visiting there, they heard of some land still open for homesteading in the Pine Grove district. They investigated and liked the land so they took up a homestead there.

Later the railroad claimed the land and made them pay for it. At a later date it was found that it had been government land but they never got their money back. Mr. Greathouse improved the land and worked earnestly for good roads. The Greathouses lived on their farm until about 1910 when Mr. Greathouse retired and the family moved to Portland. They had six children: Esper, Emma, George, Bertha, Edith and Laura.

It was in 1878, after much encouragement from the Frank Greathouse family, that the James Barrs arrived in Woodland. Mrs. Barr was Victoria Robins the second child of the John Henry Robins family. It was a cold rainy January day and the family, having just arrived from Colorado, felt cold and miserable as they followed the dripping trail to the Greathouse ranch. Mr. Greathouse carried Robert and Mr. Barr carried Minnie (now Mrs. William Gordon) who was four years old. It was impossible at that time of year to travel with horses over the road. As old timers put it, the mud was so deep it would have mired a saddle blanket.

They stayed with the Greathouse family for a while but soon became discouraged with the rain. They were not used to it and the wind blowing through the tall trees on the top of the hill was a lonely and dismal sound which caused them to dislike the country very much.

After a few months they moved to LaFayette, Oregon where Richard Robins had moved. After a few months there, however, they returned to Woodland and bought land on what is now the Lyons Road from the Railroad for $1.25 per acre. Later they sold this farm and bought land on the Lewis River at the foot of the Canyon Road, which became their permanent home. Their children were Minnie, Robert, Benjamin, Alverado and Leon. James Barr died in 1912 and Mrs. Barr in 1935.

Minnie married Joe Swartz and they bought most of the land now circled by Horseshoe Lake where they farmed for many years. They were good farmers and interested in the cultural and educational life of the community. Mr. Swartz served on the school board and they bother helped in organizing the Christian Church. Mr. Swartz died in 1919 and Minnie, now Mrs. William Gordon still lives in Woodland.

Ben Barr was one of the earliest automobile dealers in Woodland and was elected county Commissioner in 1920. He lost his life in the fall of the Kelso bridge in 1923 while returning from a county business trip. He was married to Katherine Bennett and had one son, Kenneth. See Henry Bennett family.

Robert lived in Woodland all of his life. His farm is now Cardi Hill. He married Lola Bozorth. They had no children. Leon and Alverado left Woodland at an early age.

It was in 1883 when John Henry Robins and his wife finally decided to come farther west. Letters of encouragement from Rose Anne Greathouse and Victoria Barr finally had their effect. Richard Robins also had been writing glowing accounts of the Willamette valley especially Yamhill county.

Benjamin Robins and John Henry II had both established themselves in the cattle business in Nebraska by this time and the oldest son, William, and a daughter, Mary Ann Crowe, stayed on in Colorado.

Mr. and Mrs.. Robins and sons Bob, Charles, Tobins and James boarded the immigrant train and traveled to San Francisco. The trip was slow but the young folks enjoyed it. The fast trains traveled at the amazing speed of 28 miles an hour but the immigrant train was slower. They would pull off on a siding and wait for the fast trains to pass. Some times there would be a wait of as long as two hours. Young Bob who always loved to hunt would take this opportunity to replenish the family larder with Jackrabbits or Prairie Chicken. There were two small stoves in each car and the families did their own cooking.

In San Francisco they took passage on a steamer to Astoria. It was a stormy trip and the boat was horribly dirty and smelly. The whole family was seasick and miserable before they reached their destination. They first went to LaFayette, Oregon where they stayed a short time before coming to Woodland. In Woodland, in 1884, they bought the Wagner place near the Barr and Greathouse farms. Mrs. Robins died in 1905 and Mr. Robins in 1908.

The young Robins boys liked music and Bob and Charlie both played the fiddle. They used to gather at the Gardner home at hayes on Sunday afternoons for singing and fiddling and swapping yarns. It was a sort of youth center in those days where every one was welcome. They worked in the logging camps and helped to clear land on their father's farm between times.

Bob married Anna Bellhorn in 1896. He had a team of horses and worked at logging until 1901 when he bought the old Hopf Hotel in Woodland where the Grange Hall now stands. They ran the hotel while the railroad was being built. In 1903 they sold the hotel and left Woodland until 1911 when they returned to Woodland to farm on Green Mountain until World War I. In 1919 they bought a confectionery store, the old "Taffy Tavern". In 1925 they purchased the Highway Canteen which they operated until they retired in 1942.

They had two children, Mrs. A. E. Schulz who still lives in Woodland and Donald d. Robins who was killed in World War II. he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Purple Heart. He was killed on a Japanese prison ship going to Japan after having been into ..... a Japanese prison camp at Cabanatuan in the Philippine Islands for many years.

Charles Robins became a carpenter and left Woodland when still a young man. He lived most of his life in California.

Tobius married Ethel Allen and they had seven children: Arthur, Delbert, Leota, Blanche, Billie, Lottie and Omer. They moved to Canada about 1912 returning to Silver Lake, Wash. where he died in 1949.

James married Agnes Christianson and they lived on a farm near Hayes. They had six children: Victor, Vincent, Vender, Velmore, Jane and Marie. James moved to Castle Rock in the 1930's and most of his family still reside in the area. His wife died in 1931 and he died in 1935.

•previous•     •next•   


WoodlandApe CaveArtsBirdsBusinessesCampingCatsChurchesCitiesCitizens
Day TripsDogsEast ForkExperience WAThe FallsFishingGarden
Gifford PinchotGrist MillHistoryHorsesHuntingLelooskaLilacsLinks
Merrill LakeMotorcyclesMt. AdamsMt. St. Helens
NewsPresentationsRecreationSummer VacationSW WA EventsTourismTreesTulips



Web site owned by NWNature.com Inc. Inquiries to Noel Johnson.

Site maintained by Farnell Web Design